Sensible Car Stereo speakers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensible Car Stereo speakers.

As always when I need to make a decision on something I know little about I come to you guys

I have just got myself a new car ('92 Honda CRX VTi) and I'm feeling in a spendy kind of mood (my old car should be fetching about £1k than I paid for new car, yay).

I reckon that new speakers will nicely complement my mp3 cd player (or at least allow me to go louder with less distortion) and I immediately fall into a world I know little about.

The car currently has two pairs of 16.5cm speakers and a quick look around shows a price range for replacements starting around £30 a pair and rapidly spiralling to 'astronomical'.

If I'm not adding an amp, and I don't plan on replacing the speaker wire, exactly how much should I look to be spending before I'm going to get no return?

Any suggestions? Thanks guys

Uberlad
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Uberlad check your inbox.

Comment

Duly checked and noted. Thanks for the offer.

Uberlad

Comment

I've got Infinity (Multi Element) Reference speakers in my car - 6 1/2" in the front and 4"x6" rears. They sound really good to me, and didn't break the bank. £40-50 for the fronts and a bit less for the backs.

Comment

Something quiet that doesn't annoy other road users or people trying to get too sleep at night.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Agree with TP . Something that doesn't set all the car alarms off down a quiet street when you drive past
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

What you need, TP, is a Thumpmobile Zapper (german page)

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Some suggestions for ya

If you are running the speakers only off a stock/aftermarket head unit (CD player), then look for some effecient co-axial speakers (2 way speakers). Someone already recommended some good ones(Infinity's).

The brand and construction usually is decided upon by the type of music you listen to. If you like Rock, Rap, Metal, then go for metal tweeter designs (EG, JBL Power Series). Usually titanium tweeter design. If you like music such as R & B, jazz, orchestra, etc; then go for textile tweeters (EG JL Audio VR and XR series, Infinity's, Focal).
                Mind you, this is coming from a relative car audio newbie, but I have had a fair bit of experience with these brands. I'd recommend staying with Infinity or JL for textile/silk tweeters and ask around for good titanium tweeter based speakers.
                Epox 8RDA+
                AMD XP 2500+ w/ Alpha PAL 8045
                512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
                ATI 8500 64mb
                Hercules Fortissimo II
                Tekram DC-315U
                Pioneer DVD 303S
                Pioneer DVR-106
                Zip100 Internal
                Logitech MX 500 Mouse
                Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
                Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 gig HD
                Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 40 gig HD
                LG Flatron 795FT+
                Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones
                Altec Lansing 641 Speakers

Comment

I'm not planning on turning milk sour and causing minor subsidence with bass . Just get myself some clearer sound.

If nothing else the Infinity reference speakers seem to come with useful information - impedence and fitting depth that I haven't been able to find from the high street brands (not even on Sony's website are there fitting depths for speakers).

Pretty much anything is going to be a major improvement from the cardboard speakers I have now.

Thanks for the input. Are we not rating 3-way speakers at all?

Uberlad

Comment

Working...
                  X