Maxtor drives with fasttrak66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxtor drives with fasttrak66

I have two maxtor drives on my fasttrak66.
    I tried running the WVSET.exe utility to turn off write verify, but it does not detect the drives on the fasttrak, only the ones on IDE1 and 2.

Are they for sure ATA100 drives? If not then WVSET will not detect them since ATA66's don't have Write Verify set. You can tell if the drives are ATA100 by checking the part number. The second to last character will be an "H".

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I could be wrong, but I thought the readme on the Maxtor site said wvset was a "DOS" mode program thus it can only use what devices DOS can see so unless you've installed DOS drivers for your fasttrack that may be the problem.

I also recall the Write verify feature is automatically disabled after ten power cycles. This was driving me nuts as I was getting very poor performance from my two 7200 rpm Maxtors on the fasttrack -- worse than the pair of 5400 rpm WDs that were slaves. The performance mysteriously improved while I was trying to figure things out -- my system automatically shut the power when I shutdown
      so I hit the 10 power cycles pretty quickly. Enlightenment came when I learned of wvset a few weeks latter.

--wally.

Comment

There are no DOS drivers needed for the Fasttrak.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
        X