I'm Sick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Sick

Once again I have caught this damned bug.. the one where you get a sore throat and then chest congestion that won't go away. I suffered through this for 2 months last winter before I got some doc to give me a free antibiotic sample to make it go away. Anyone else getting this? Does anyone know what the hell this is? I don't want to go through this again, I can't afford a doctor, and have no insurance. Anyone know where can I score some antibiotics?

Find out what you need and order it from Canada on the web...
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

that sucks.
      If you were in Canada, all that stuff would be free (exespt for the antibiotics, which would be covered by most drug plans)
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I can't afford a doctor
        scary.
        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

omfg... "i can't afford a doctor"

move it canada dude!

Comment

I too have a sore throat.. started yesterday .. I hope it is not what you are describing..
            P.S. get some medical insurance.. not being able to see a doctor because it is too expensive is a scary situation !
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Found what I needed.. thanks for the tip, K6III. Unfortunately, there was no overnight shipping option.. 10-21 days

At least the prices were reasonable.

Comment

Even if you do get insurance here, your health doesn't matter. It only matters that the insurance company is making a big profit. Therefore you hear horror stories about insurance companies refusing to pay for MRIs and such, causing people to die of cancer because it was not found in time.

I know someone who was charged $900 for a ten minute office call to a neurologist.. it wasn't like this was a voluntary procedure, either.. he had broken his neck. Lizzie got bitten by a spider, and treatment cost $60,000. All this so doctors can buy Mercedes and million dollar houses while they bankrupt the rest of us, or make us live on in sickness because we can't afford to make their $6000 mortgage payment for them..

Comment

yea... this is so stupid. dunno why doctors get so much more money (possibly due to respect) than others. Sure, its hard to study in the field and graduate, but its not like other fields are easy. Some of them are just asking for to much. and this is not going to change...

Comment

It's not due to respect.. it's due to the AMA (American Medical Association). That's the doctor's union and lobbying group.

Comment

One of a few reasons I am considering a move to Canada upon graduation....
                      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

The >50% total taxation may suck, but not having to worry about doctor's bills is quite nice I went through a bout of tonsilitis a few weeks ago. Dropped into the walk in clinic, saw a doctor after a 10 minute wait, got a prescription for novamoxin (penicillin), and was cured in about 3-4 days. Total cost to me, $2.78.

My work health plan covers 80% of prescription drugs (I could up it to 100% by paying a little more into the plan), and the doctor visit was covered by the government.
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Alot of the cost of medical bills are a result of insurance costs for malpractice insurance. It is very expensive for alot of specialties such as ob/gyn, neurologists, and others.

Even if you have what is supposed to be an effective treatment, be careful. There are alot of antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria.

Hope you feel better guys.
                          Last edited by Brian R.; 6 September 2003, 23:17.

Comment

I remember someone (you know who you are) arguing that the US was wonderful in this regard because there were programs to make sure all children and elderly got the care they needed. Well, that's wonderful.. if you are under 18 or over 65. However, if you are in between those ages (and, by the way, ACTIVELY PAYING for those government programs that benefit said others with your tax dollars), screw you. In fact, screw you twice. Die and be buried.

You know, I might buy into the whole Darwinian thing of survival of the fittest in the context of the stupidly extreme laissez-faire capitalism that US society is based upon, but the problem is that our culture is so royally ****ed up that those people who are judged by "nature" to be the fittest to survive are all the wrong people. Since your access to health care is directly proportional to how much money you make, we must assume that according to this "natural law," some lowlife animal scum like Mike Tyson is 10,000 times more worthy to live and be healthy than someone who teaches kindergarten. And the crooks who run hollywood and the recording industry are even more worthy of life. Wrong answer.

The big problem is inequity of remuneration. There indeed should be some stratification in society, but it must serve the better interests of society while still giving people the incentive to succeed. People who dedicate their lives to helping others should be paid well. Smarter people should be paid well. Subhuman ****s who bite other people's ears off should be euthanized, not paid $30,000,000 for this two minute spectacle. Actors who are very good should make a pretty decent living, but they do not deserve to be making 1000 times what a teacher or pastor makes.. same goes for sports stars.. same goes for CEOs. Soaking the rich with high taxation isn't a good enough answer to cure the monetary inequities of society, because then we are left with trusting 535 corrupt sleazebags in Washington to distribute this equitably. That ain't gonna happen. Even my idea of a maximum legal spread between the highest- and lowest- paid employees within a company isn't perfect. People doing good work in small businesses would be paid far less than the janitor at Intel. That's not a proper evaluation of people either. Perhaps taxing Intel a lot and the small business not at all would be the answer, while maintaining the rules of maximum allowed income spread..

However things are worked out, every hard-working citizen should be able to get the medical care they need without having to declare bankruptcy to do it, without being equated to some bum on the streets by being called an "indigent," and without having to satisfy some rich insuror pricks that paying for that care wouldn't cost them a few pennies.
                            Last edited by KvHagedorn; 7 September 2003, 00:18.

Comment

Doctors aren't the ones making money dude. HMOs maybe, but not doctors. They're not even making what I think somebody who spent 7 years getting their training should be making.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X