Download manager. Advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download manager. Advice needed.

The topic in which Filezilla was mentioned reminded me that I'd really like to find second utility to download things, in spirit of Filezilla. Light, fast, non bloated, free and without spyware, but, unlike Filezilla, capable of http downloads...
    The ones I tried weren't exactly all that...so does such thing exist?

I use GetRight and don't have any problems with it,
    even with >2.0 GB files.

Comment

Maybe it's somewhat off-topic but I find Getright quite comprehensive. It has ftp browser, dl manager, dl accelerator (segmented dl) and many other features for comfortable file download. For $25 it's the best piece of software I ever bought, or at least one of the.

If you refer to it's add-ons you'll see that it is even more flexible and functional. Besides browser plug-ins for Opera, Mozilla and Netscape there are translations to many other languages, and Polish among them.

It is fast, reliable, trouble free and easy to use. No, I'm not working for "Headlight Software", nor is this an advertisement. I just truly like this utility and think that $25 isn't much for what it offers.

Ouh yes, it is available as a fully functional trialware without any adware, spyware or bundled extras. I can not claim but I think that program is not trial limited and that it will keep working forever bothering you to buy it (something like Windo... ups! Total Commander ). It was long time ago I stoped using it as a trial.

Certainly worth trying. http://www.getright.com/

Comment

Wow! Tom posted the same thing while I was in reply (off-line).

Comment

I had good experience with DL Express.

Otherwise I just use Mozilla's download manager.

However since switch to ADSL I have no need for that. For filesharing I use BDC++ (special version the hub I visit uses).

Comment

Used Getright whilst I was on dialup. Now on ADSL, like Utwig I just use Mozilla's download manager.
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I don't use GetRight any more.

While it DOES excel at nabbing them big files that need lots of retries and multi-part downloads, it STINKS for nabbing pr0n... err... I mean downloading lots of small files.

It crashes regularly, and its auto-queueing for those small files is... to be honest... crap.

I've switched to ReGet, and I'm happier for it. (Not to mention that unlike GetRight, ReGet has joined the new millennium and uses a modern interface).

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Flashget is the best IMO, hasn't been updated for awhile but can do everything I throw at it very well...also, a lot less bugs than GetRight and a decent memory footprint.
                All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

I believe a while ago I used to use StarDownloader, it was very nice. Now I just use the download manager in Mozilla.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                    I don't use GetRight any more.

While it DOES excel at nabbing them big files that need lots of retries and multi-part downloads, it STINKS for nabbing pr0n... err... I mean downloading lots of small files.

It crashes regularly, and its auto-queueing for those small files is... to be honest... crap.

I've switched to ReGet, and I'm happier for it. (Not to mention that unlike GetRight, ReGet has joined the new millennium and uses a modern interface).

- Gurm
                    Since you're using it, am I correct in assuming that there is no spyware in GetRight?

Comment

GetRight removed their spyware and adware a few revisions back due to pressure from consumers.

ReGet, at least the registered version I'm using, has no spyware. I can't speak for the demo/trial/unregistered version.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

I use Net Ants and though it hasn't been updated in ages (couple of years) it's still my favorite download manager.
                        I used Download Accelerator before it, maybe it gulps up the bandwidth better but it used to turn out too much corrupt files and in the case of large files it was annoying.
                        Net Ants rarely did that and also has a nice recover feature (sadly zip files only) where it redownloads only the bad blocks in the file, not having to download the whole thing again (worked in 50% of cases).
                        Last edited by Admiral; 8 September 2003, 06:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                          GetRight removed their spyware and adware a few revisions back due to pressure from consumers.

ReGet, at least the registered version I'm using, has no spyware. I can't speak for the demo/trial/unregistered version.

- Gurm
                          Excellent! I always did like GetRight and Reget. Which to try now as they have expelled the spyware demons.

Comment

Useless Info but I use CuteFTP Pro 2.0

Used to use gozilla a few years ago, seemed to work ok.

Comment

See sig

AZ
                              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                              X