Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PSU needed? Advice.

I think I need a new PSU...

You see I'm a fairly experianced OCer() but I can't seem to get my rig stable when pushing the limits. I think it's the PS that can't supply the hardware with enough juice. The 12v line lies a fair bit below 12v. If the issue lies with the PSUthe I need some recommendations on good supplies.

Here's my config:
    AXP 2500+
    R9700Pro
    Epox 8RDA3+ (nforce 2 Ultra 400)
    2x Twinmos-Winbond 512MB pc3200 modules.
    1 HDD (Seagate 7200.7 SATA).

I guess that's the essential parts.

Not too expensive though...I'm thinking something inline with the Antec truepower series, what do you think?

What is your current PSU?

I'm using an Antec Truepower, it's very good in every respect but noise. (Which is not loud enough to really bother anyone who is not looking for a silent pc) Seasonic & Allied are also excellent.

Comment

TruePower here as well.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Antec TrueBlue 480watt in my case...quiet and very powerful.....
        also, I really like the way the LEDs light up the back of the case!
        TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU
        Last edited by Tom; 6 September 2003, 11:21.

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
          What is your current PSU?
          It's a Chieftec 360W unit. Not the best, but I thought it would be adequate...

I did a search and found quite a lot of threads but I wanted to ask you all again just in case anything new and good has been released.

Comment

Should have been adequate... oh well. Seventeam units are also good, and very very quiet.

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Chieftec 360W unit
              I highly doubt it´s the PSU. I´ve got a Chieftec 360W too (HPC-360-302DF - the one with 2 fans and Active PFC) and I´ve got a XP2600+ @ 173fsb on a Asrock K7S8X, Volcano 7+, Case fan, 2 Crucial DDR 266@346 , Radeon 9700@ 320/290, 2 HDD (Barracuda 80Gb and 40 gb), a LG cd-burner, a LG DVD-burner, floppy drive , sb audigy, PCI Pinnacle PCTV Deluxe, PCI USB 2.0 card.

So as you can see, a Chieftec 360W can provide more than enough juice, system is stable and voltages are ok.

I would point to the Nvidia chipset.

Comment

Of course, someone's got to put in the obligatory PC Power & Cooling plug.

That is, if you can stand the cost and the noise. They are the best supplies money can buy.

- Steve

Comment

Antec pre-Trupower 400watt PSU here...stronger 5v rail with 40A instead of 38A.
                  Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Allied 450W. Cheap and strong.

5V rail is at 50A
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Antec Smartpower 300W is decent and not too pricey.

Chieftec has reasonably priced PSUs in 400W range.

I'm got Antec Truecontrol 550W for my coming dualie build.

Comment

So I actually didn´t make a point that his power supply may not be the problem and he may be waisting money on a new one, just to have the same problem

Comment

CWT (Channel Well) - cheap and does the business for me.
                          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Nobody listens to you Nuno, but I do. I have the same PSU you got, only I have the single fan version.

I rather not get a new PSU as I need the money, but I don't know how I can get hold of a better one so I can test where the issue lies.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuno
                              I highly doubt it´s the PSU. I´ve got a Chieftec 360W too (HPC-360-302DF - the one with 2 fans and Active PFC) and I´ve got a XP2600+ @ 173fsb on a Asrock K7S8X, Volcano 7+, Case fan, 2 Crucial DDR 266@346 , Radeon 9700@ 320/290, 2 HDD (Barracuda 80Gb and 40 gb), a LG cd-burner, a LG DVD-burner, floppy drive , sb audigy, PCI Pinnacle PCTV Deluxe, PCI USB 2.0 card.

So as you can see, a Chieftec 360W can provide more than enough juice, system is stable and voltages are ok.

I would point to the Nvidia chipset.
                              Is just a little bit hungrier than yours...

What are your voltages exactly???

Comment

Working...
                              X