X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P750 and VBE support

Hi,

Sorry for my first and very long post

I have recently purchased a P750 directly from the Matrox Online Store (ordered on a Sunday and got it the following Tuesday ).

I have also purchased a new motherboard (ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe) a P4 3.00GHz HT, 1 GB of RAM (2 Corsair 512 MByte TwinX Matched Momory Pairs), 2 WD Cavier 120 GB, an Antec 550 TruePower, Hard Drive Traies, ect...

I assemble my new computer (not the first time, mind you) and could only see garble on my screen, then standard text, multiple beeps, then garble again (where I was expecting to see the BIOS Menu Screen). Checked everything (remove and re-install memory, did the same for all the cards, check cables and monitoron another computer), reboot multiple times with no further progress.

My firts thought was that my brand new P750 was defective but, before contacting Matrox, decided to take a look at the supplied CD on another computer and found out on that CD that this was a known problem (by Matrox) but to be able to address it I had to be able to boot with that video card. Fortunately I still had one PCI card, the first of many Matrox card that I have purchased in the past years, a Millennium. After having removed the P750 and having installed my old thrusty Millennium I was finally able to 'see' everything, accessed the BIOS, set the date, disable RAID, removed my Millennium and put back my P750.

Even if I still could not see most of the displayed information on the monitor, the system was able to successfully boot from the Windows XP CD and then I was finally able to 'see' via my P750 and when XP was installed, accessed the P750 CD, used the System Logo Fix utility and was finally able to see (not as good as with the Millennium) the boot screens.

My point... Even if Matrox is aware of this critical problem, this was not mention anywhere in the supplied User Guide our loose sheets that came with the board (mind you, this is not my first Matrox card, I still own a Millennium, a G200 and a G400MAX) and I always take the time to read the supllied documentation (since I am also writing technical documentations, it is natural for me to do the opposite of most purchasers ). Also they are expecting the motherboard manufacturer to provide a fix (via their BIOS) for their problem (remember that the Millennium do not have this problem with VBE).

Finally, even if this is my first post, I have been reading MURC on a daily basis since the purchase of my first Matrox card in 1997 and that MURC always been my default home page

Thanks.

DC
    Asus EAH4870, Samsung SyncMaster 2232GW LCD, Asus P5Q Premium, Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz 1600 MHz FSB, Antec TruePower Quattro 1000, 5 Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA, Iomega 1GB Jaz, 4.09GB (OCZ 1066 DDR2 Reaper), Sound Blaster Audigy 2, LG GH22LS30, Logitech MX-1000, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows XP Professional (SP3)

I'm sure that it would be very helpfull if they provided a loose sheet with the systemlogofix information. Because a lot of user will bump into this problem.

Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I had the same problem with the same card and same motherboard. The fix is easy, just go to:

Update the BIOS in the P750 and run SystemLogoFix.exe.

Comment

It looks as if it happens only with Asus boards though (P4P800 / P4C800). If yes, then Asus is probably to blame (on the basis that it works with everyone else...).

Comment

Thanks for the replies...

For your information (and missing from my first post), the first thing that I did once able to boot with my P750 was to update its BIOS with 'setup_p103.exe' (which update did not change the garble displayed during boot) and as commented did run 'SystemLogoFix.exe' (which fix partially addressed the problem but still does not display the boot screen as good as with my Millennium).

KeiFront:

Exactly

zepp:

Are you sure that it fixe correctly the initial boot display (the one with the ASUS AI and Intel P4 logos) ? For me, the logos are presently poorly displayed compared to how they are displayed using my Millennium PCI card...

Kurt:

You may be right but Matrox, with the Millennium BIOS, was able to correctly display the POST... Therefore my question is why are they not able to do the same now with the P750 ?

DC
          Asus EAH4870, Samsung SyncMaster 2232GW LCD, Asus P5Q Premium, Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz 1600 MHz FSB, Antec TruePower Quattro 1000, 5 Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA, Iomega 1GB Jaz, 4.09GB (OCZ 1066 DDR2 Reaper), Sound Blaster Audigy 2, LG GH22LS30, Logitech MX-1000, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows XP Professional (SP3)

Comment

I do know that before I did the fix I could not do anything with the BIOS because it was all garbled. After the BIOS fix it was no better but after I did SystemLogoFix.exe I could finally see the BIOS uncorrupted. The initial screen logo looks like a old Atari game with poor graphics and is just ugly but it really is not important to me because I have full access to the BIOS on the motherboard.

I do think Matrox should be shipping a card that does not require BIOS update AND have to run a windows util to use the card. Many people put these cards in a new system and don't have windows running to "fix" the card with SystemLogoFix.exe so you can set up your motherboard and then install windows.

Comment

Comment

zepp:

Yes that it and as for myself I have disabled the initial screen logo.

Haig:

Thanks for the link... I do now fully understand the fondamental difference between the Millennium and the P750 (VGA vs SVGA) and hope that ASUS will be willing to address this issue in the near future. Finally, has you have noticed, this problem can be very problematic for new/novice user and it would be nice if some kind of notice (on that subject) could be provided to them (to minimize frustration and technical support).

(Edited for typo)

DC
                Last edited by COLD; 6 September 2003, 20:28.

Comment

Finally, has you have noticed, this problem can be very problematic for new/novice user and it would be nice if some kind of notice (on that subject) could be provided to them (to minimize frustration and technical support).
                  I don't think a notice would be the solution. The ideal solution would have been for us to flash the logofix on all cards during production since the logofix issue was present on the P cards with various motherboard bios's.

Comment

I've got a Parhelia 128MB Retail on RMA right now, will I get a logofixed card back, or a vanilla one?
                    <font size="-4">User error:
                    Replace user and try again.
                    System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
                    System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
                    </font>

Comment

Should be flashed with the latest bios but I don't know if RMA re-works their entire stock with the logo fix.

Comment

Seems like an idea to impliment for the RMA people...
                        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Haig
                          I don't think a notice would be the solution. The ideal solution would have been for us to flash the logofix on all cards during production since the logofix issue was present on the P cards with various motherboard bios's.
                          Yes, I thought about this ultimate solution but decided to wait and see what would have been the replies from my first post before suggesting it. Addressing a problem at the root is usually the best approach

Keep up the good work Haig!!!

P.S.: Except for that little 'technical' glitch, I am very please with my P750

DC

Comment

Working...
                          X