Help me find the right software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find the right software

What I'm looking for is a non linear editing solution. What I need it to do, is edit in HUFFYUV without rendering upon import. In other words, I need it to edit in native HUFFYUV. It needs to be fairly simple to use, and hopefully not require refinancing my car to buy. I don't need to do fancy disolves and transitions, but the capability would be nice for the future. Thanks for any suggestions.

Prospero

Anyone?

Comment

MSPro6, AVI_IO & a Marvel G400-TV works great here.

I capture YUY2 with AVI_IO using HuffYUV as the compressor. Full frames come out at 8-10 mb/s. Then I edit in MSP6, save the clips back out as HuffYUV for external encoding or encode to a final format within MSP6, whichever works for the given project.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 16 November 2000).]

Comment

Thanks Doc. I use AVI_IO already for my caps, and VitualDub for renders. I just needed something to do nonlinear.

Comment

Just be aware that with the Marvel G400 you need to D/L the "Flying Dutchmans YUY utility" from Chris's D/L page to activate YUY2 captures. It works best with version 1.52 of the Matrox Video Tools. Do NOT use version 1.54. It's YUY2 support is broken.

http://idiots-guide.matroxusers.com/DTVW_downloads.htm

It's near the bottom of the page.

Hopefully you'll see some release drivers soon with this feature already activated, but for now....

Also understand that I use YUY2/HuffYUV ONLY because it allows adding effects/filters/DVE's or titles without recompression errors ruining the output. If I'm not doing anything that can lead to recompression errors it's easier to just use MJPeg.

Example: projects with only cuts, fades or organic wipes and simple titles with large-ish fonts.

One other note: full frame YUY2 captures encoded with HuffYUV run 8-10 mb/sec in data rate. Make sure your drives can handle it. Most of the new 7,200 rpm drives can. Easily.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 17 November 2000).]

Comment

I guess I should have said I already do HUFFYUV caps. I have a 60gig raid with IBM GXP75s, and also use the 1.52 video tools with the Flying Dutchmans hack. Most of what I do now is just editing out commercials of tv caps, but I would like the ability do some nonlinear stuff. Thanks for your help. I have found that I get much cleaner mpeg4 renders using HUFFYUV, and can use higher bitrates with the same file size.

Comment

Working...
            X