Anyone use this? (Chaintech/VIA Envy24HT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use this? (Chaintech/VIA Envy24HT

After a little swapping with my brother, I'm now in need of a (preferably cheap) sound card to cure my headaches. (Read: SBLive! 5.1) Found this Chaintech card at Newegg using the Envy24HT chipset. Just because of that fact I would assume the sound quality is very good. (Previously I had a Revo) Does anyone have any experience with one of these? Or an alternative?

VIA's mainboard chipsets suck because of bandwidth and burst mode issues that have been in there since the MVP. Patch 'em all you want but....

VIA's IEEE-1394 chipsets have sucked for years. Now it's said they've "fixed" them, but without marking the new versions

Just based on these I wouldn't buy anything with a VIA chipset in it.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 September 2003, 16:43.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well, it's basically just rebadged ICEnsamble, (bought by VIA) which I don't think VIA have mucked up yet.

Otherwise, I wouldn't consider it.

Comment

Actually, with this particular card they have managed to bork it, given that VIA dacs are used on it...
        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Hrmmm, alternatives? I'm thinking about TBSC, as it is getting cheap now.

Comment

FortissimoIII, TSBC, or if you really want to spring for it, MAudio Revolution 7.1...
            Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I'm considering the Fortissimo III myself, I believe its working well under Linux so maybe BSD too.
              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
              X