Seagate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagate

is anybody really familiar with seagate drives? are they reliable?
    I was thinking of getting a 7200.7 Sata version but they only come with 1 year warrenty
    Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

They're very reliable, and very quiet too, though they aren't really speed demons. Also, most drives are coming with a 1 year warranty now.

Comment

I use nothing but Seagate now due to their amazing reliability and low noise levels...
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

yeah they are very reliable... but i have had noise troubles.... got a 20gig 7200 about 2 years ago... at first it was very quite but gradually got louder... but sounds like they have improved...

dont they come in 1 and 3 year warranty packages? just pay an extra 20 bucks or so to get the extra 2 years? this is over in oz anyways... so not sure if thats the case over there...

|CPU|Intel P4 2.8GHz(800MHz) @ 3.4GHz(980MHz)|CPU Cooling| CoolerMaster Hyper 6 CPU Heatsink & Fan, Arctic Silver 5 |Mobo|MSI 865PE Neo2-FIS2R (Bios 2.4)|RAM|2 x 256MB Geil PC3200 RAM, Dual Channel, 5:4, 2-3-3-5|HDD|2 x WD 36G 10000RPM SATA (8MB Buffer), RAID 0|Video Card|256MB Sapphire x800pro VIVO 475/450@540/520, 16 pipelines enabled, 3D Connect bios|Video Card Drivers|Omega v2.5.90|CD-RW|LiteOn CD-RW|LCD|17" ViewSonic VP171s|PSU|Enhance 400W|K&M|Logitech MX Duo|OS|Windows XP, SP2, DirectX 9c

Comment

No, the only Seagate drives you can get longer warranties on here are their SCSI line with 5 years.

Another alternative you may want to look at to Seagate, however, is the new Samsung IDE Spinpoint drives...
          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

@knirfie: since you're in the Netherlands, look for the retail version. They come with a minimum of 2 years warranty as per the EU directive on retail products. Otherwise look for HGSD (Hitachi -ex-IBM) or Western Digital drives (the SE or 8MB edition). Samsung also come with 3 years but are slow.

Comment

I think the newest Samsungs aren't that slow - at least they were running advertisements here for them, saying that they not only closed the gap to the competition, but overtook them. Of course, it was only an ad, but it's unusual for HD manufacturers to put such bold ads in the papers.

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                Otherwise look for HGSD (Hitachi -ex-IBM) or Western Digital drives (the SE or 8MB edition). Samsung also come with 3 years but are slow. [/B]
                Hitachi is hgst: http://www.hgst.com ...

I recently bought a Seagate Cheetah 10K.6, and seems to do a nice job... (too soon to tell if it is reliable though) My Quantum Atlas 10K has been sent back for the second time... still waiting for it to return...

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I am VERY fond of my Seagate Barracuda V ATA. Yeah, the cache is smaller than on the WD SE, but it's nearly as fast in practice, and DEAD SILENT - no lie.

Gpar_
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

To my knowledge they are the quietest drives on the market (a real plus as I sometimes sleep with mine on when I'm ripping um...I mean backing up my dvd collection ) and they are reliable.

~Sethos
                    "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Although a very fast and almost as quiet drive (don't know about reliability though) is the HGST DeskStar 180GXP - can be had with 8mb buffer (and three years warranty, I think), too.

AZ

Comment

I'm looking for quietness, preferebly with a little performance (and SATA)...

Any recommendations?

What i find weird is that the Seagate 8mb cache parallel drives come with 3 years warrenty and the 8mb cache serial drives with one year (i'll see if the retail version is available anywhere)

The reason i ask about reliability is because a friend of mine already had 2 Seagate's die on him in 2 years time, but maybe he's just unlucky.
                        Last edited by knirfie; 2 September 2003, 07:41.
                        Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Best noise/performance ratio would be the 8mb versions of the HGST 180GXP. The 'Cuda V is quieter, though. It is available as an SATA version, but why do you want that? It really doesn't make a lot of sense yet (and the SATA version is minimally slower than the PATA one).

AZ

Comment

Originally posted by knirfie
                            I'm looking for quietness, preferebly with a little performance (and SATA)...

Any recommendations?

What i find weird is that the Seagate 8mb cache parallel drives come with 3 years warrenty and the 8mb cache serial drives with one year (i'll see if the retail version is available anywhere)

The reason i ask about reliability is because a friend of mine already had 2 Seagate's die on him in 2 years time, but maybe he's just unlucky.
                            or needs to get a better PSU an/or stop kicking against the pc when he loses in online multiplayer gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                              Best noise/performance ratio would be the 8mb versions of the HGST 180GXP. The 'Cuda V is quieter, though. It is available as an SATA version, but why do you want that? It really doesn't make a lot of sense yet (and the SATA version is minimally slower than the PATA one).

AZ
                              I'll probably upgrade mobo/cpu/mem in 2 years again, and maybe PATA isn't standard by then anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X