OT Mini-DV Cassette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Mini-DV Cassette

The bloody dog snatched a mini-DV cassette as it fell to the floor. The tape is broken at a spool (only one end visible, so I can't do a splice) and a few cm (in the middle) badly mutilated, but the case itself and spools are OK, I think, except for the front shutter.

Needless to say, the contents are irreplaceable.

Has anyone succeeded in dismantling one and putting it together again? If so, any tips, before I try?
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

No experience with digital tape, but from SVHS & Betacam experience I suggest you get a new tape and use only the spools from the mutilated one.

No idea if the bad part in the middle just gives a few second of glitches or if it will stop the tape there. Does your DV cam do well on such things? Or does it hang there?

edit: didn't read your post careful enough. Make that 2 new tapes. Use each end of the tape (since it's broken) in a new tape housing. Better than splicing!

J-kun

Comment

another thing too... being that the mauled part is in the middle...

once you have the tape in a new housing.... unwind the tape and rewind it.... this is mainly to try to get the kinks out of the mangled part and try to save as much as possible.

I would also suggest keeping it rewinded for a day or two and maybe even unwind it again and rewind sometime in between wouldn't hurt.

Most tape companies recommend you do this when storing tapes so I am sure this can't hurt. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions. It is opening the case that worries me. With VHS, it is easy; it is held together with screws. With mini-DV it is clearly clicked together and I've no idea where the tongues are, to try and press them in, especially as the crack is very well fitting (precision moulding). Even if I succeed it getting it open, it may require a jig to hold the moving parts in place as it's re-assembled.

I did a web search to find drawings, but without success. However, I found a number of US companies that offered repair services with re-recording onto a virgin tape of the serviceable parts. As this is a PAL original, I tried to find a European equivalent and found one in the UK who has quoted me £22 for the service. Maybe this will be the best answer. As the contents were shot in N. and S. India (Himalayas to Bangalore), this will be a lot cheaper than doing a re-shoot! In any case, I detest India!!!!!
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Brian, latest C't has a small FAQ entry on this. They say that if you don't see screws on the tape case, then it's glued. Break open with a knife and replace case with a decent screwed one.

J-kun

Comment

Working...
          X