read this if you still have an IBM Deskstar 75GXP or 60GXP hdd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• read this if you still have an IBM Deskstar 75GXP or 60GXP hdd

In January this year, IBM made available a firmware fix for their infamous "Deathstar" (Deskstar 75GXP and 60GXP) series of hard drives that supposedly significantly enhances the reliability of these drives by moving the heads around when they idle.

The link to the firmware update is here

Anyone who has one of those drives should download the firmware update immediately to reduce the risk of hard drive failure and data loss.
    Last edited by ayoub_ibrahim; 1 September 2003, 08:50.

That's a nice info !!!

Errr it seems there is a pb with the URL you provided :

"The document you requested does not exist on this server or cannot be served.

Please double check the URL or use the search function on this page to find what you are looking for.

If you know you have the correct URL but are encountering an error, please let our Webmaster know at http://www.ibm.com/contact/query. Thank you.

404 Not Found"
    System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

What a shame I don't have any.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Thanks Ayoub - vigilant as ever!

The link got a little truncated...here's the full version:

T.
        FT.

Comment

Shame, my RAID (consisting of two of those awful drives) gave up a few weeks ago, becaus of of them is making the typical noises (rtsch rtsch rtsch,....) at startup.
          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
          My System
          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
          German ATI-forum

Comment

thanks for the "correction" Fat Tone.

Comment

Thanks, I still got one IBM. People don't forget to backup your data, you never know what could happen .
              Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
              Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
              Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

The util says both need updating:

2003/09/01 21:17,STEVESPC,Firmware Update to ER4OA45A Required,IC35L040AVER07-0,SXPTXR24689,ER4OA46A,
                2003/09/01 21:17,STEVESPC,Firmware Update to ER2OA45A Required,IC35L020AVER07-0,SVPTV0C0620,ER2OA44A,
                But when I boot off the a45a boot disk it tells me no drives need updating - help!

Comment

Can you try them one drive at a time?
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC

But when I boot off the a45a boot disk it tells me no drives need updating - help!

Sounds like a typical balls up.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

If Oonly I had known about this in january, I'd not have a 120 gig drive now...

AZ
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                        If Oonly I had known about this in january, I'd not have a 120 gig drive now...

AZ
                        Poor you...
                        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                        My System
                        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                        German ATI-forum

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC

Do you have the drives connected to the plain original motherboard EIDE controler, not as raid?

I need htis update too, so I'll be experimenting tonight.
                          chuck
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Plain IDE controller here - not SATA or RAID... Maybe I'll try sticking in to an older Compaq Deskpro I have here as that's all Intel and more basic. Never know - it could be the IDE controller or something (I have an Abit NF7-S)

Comment

I still have one that just started clicking. Could this firmware flash save the disk? Well, off I go to try it...

Comment

Working...
                              X