Linksys WGA54G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linksys WGA54G

I was looking at a Linksys WGA54G to use with my Shuttle SS51G, but I was wondering if I would run into any problems with since its made for consoles. I dont think there would be, but better to ask before I plunk down cash on it
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Well, it only has 1 ethernet port. It seems more like a bridge than a switch. Also, the "G" standard is not backwards compatible with the "B" standard. I wouldn't get it for your purpose.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
      Also, the "G" standard is not backwards compatible with the "B" standard. I wouldn't get it for your purpose.

Dave
      Dave,

You could not be more wrong about the compatability of 802.11b and 802.11g. They ARE compatible. I think your thinking of 802.11a, which is NOT compatible with either 802.11b or 802.11g.

Both 802.11b and 802.11g run on on similar frequency ranges (2.4Ghz), while the 802.11a runs on the 5Ghz frequency range.

Now, as for you GT98, from what I gather about the Linksys WGA54G, is that it converts your wired (10/100mbit) connections to a wireless one. But before you do that, do you have an access point or wireless router already set up? Because having the WGA54G hooked up to your mini with out an access point / wireless router is not going to get you anywhere.

Good luck and please post a little more info as to what other hardware you have available to use with the WGA54G.
      Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
      MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
      Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
      Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

I already have a Linksys WAP54G That I use with my Dell Inspiron 600M Laptop with a Intel mini-pci 802.11b wireless card. Works fine I just wanted a solution that used a 10/100Mbit port since I only have one PCI slot in the Shuttle minibox and it would also work with the Xbox I have.
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by mmp121
          Dave,

You could not be more wrong about the compatability of 802.11b and 802.11g. They ARE compatible. I think your thinking of 802.11a, which is NOT compatible with either 802.11b or 802.11g.
          Oops, you are right, I was mixed up.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
          X