"The Core" or "Movies that Don't Screen Well"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Core" or "Movies that Don't Screen Well"

So I refused to go see "The Core" in theaters. I'll probably ALSO refuse to rent or buy the DVD. Why? Because it's a fake movie.

"Fake?" you ask... wondering how I could possibly insinuate this.

Well let me tell ya.

Two years ago, I saw an ad for a film called "The Core". In it, they explained that once every 100,000 years or so the earth stops spinning on its axis... and starts spinning the other way. It causes catastrophic loss of life, and it's what killed the dinosaurs.

(*GASP*)

And the only way to stop it... is to drill to the center of the earth and set off some kind of massive thingy... or else all life will end.

-----------------------

Fast forward to last year. I see another trailer for "The Core". Mind you, it was supposed to be out in 2001. Ok, fine...

In this new trailer, we have developed the ultimate weapon. It's buried at the center of the earth, but we've lost control of it. The only way to prevent total destruction of the earth... is to drill to the center of the earth and set off some kind of massive thingy... or else all life will end.

-----------------------

I refuse to participate in the idiocy that is "reworking a movie from existing footage to support a retarded complete and total plot shift". I mean, c'mon people. It obviously screened poorly, and instead of just shitcanning it they recalled it, filmed a bunch of unrelated scenes with actors hired at the last minute and at great expense, and then spliced those onto the scenes of the crew in the ship that's drilling to... "THE CORE".

How retarded.

Of course, I say this knowing full well that the same damn thing happens all the time and we just don't hear about it, and I probably enjoyed some of THOSE films.

"13th Warrior" was advertised at the movies every 6 months for 3 years, and FINALLY was released... pretty much straight to video. But I _loved_ that film. I don't think they changed that much, it was just a kind of artsy film with a limited viewer base.

Gpar_
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Another explanation is that the Core was a rip-off of a book called the "HAB Theory" and the copyright owners stopped it's showing and the movie had to be remade.

Can you say "Conservation of Angular Momentum"?
    Last edited by Brian R.; 29 August 2003, 06:14.

Comment

That is also entirely possible. I guess we'll never know for sure, but either way it looks like a suckass film patched together. It was in theaters for what... 3 days?

Gpar_
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

My theory is simply that any moron who thinks up such a laughable scenario couldn't possibly make it into a decent movie. Suspension of belief is one thing.. suspension of intellect is another.

Comment

I didn't go to see the core either...SO STUPID was the entire concept that i just couldn't bare the thought of sitting there for an hour and a half and payind 6.50 USD for it too. However it was a lot of fun to tear apart in astrophysics class

~Sethos
          "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Re: "The Core" or "Movies that Don't Screen Well"

Originally posted by Gurm
            And the only way to stop it... is to drill to the center of the earth and set off some kind of massive thingy... or else all life will end.
            LOL

As least they kept the mind shattering ending.

I too enjoyed The 13th Warrior.
            #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
            people do all day!"

Comment

Well 'The 13th Warrior' was based on the book by Michael Crichton titled 'Eaters of The Dead.' It differed enough from the book to be a slight let down to those who really enjoyed the book, but was a pretty good movie on its own. Then again, it's truly all (the book and movie) based on Beowulf.

I completely missed out on hearing about 'The Core,' and apparently that's a good thing.
              “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Actually, I enjoyed reading the HAB Theory

Comment

I saw The Core on a plane flight back from Singapore to Minneapolis... watches Xmen2 and something else first, so I was out of good movies :P

It was fine as something to do and suck up time while on the flight, but thats about it. I thought it was pretty poorly written and had lots of unbelievable stuff, even for a sic-fi type movie.

Comment

A better scenario, and one based on fact, would be what could happen when the Earths magnetic field reverses. Yes it happens regularly and yes it's due.....give or take a few kilo-years.

The field strength is already reducing in many areas of the world, eventually to drop to zero mid-reversal for an indeterminate duration.

Eliminate the Earths magnetic field and you also eliminate our protection from cosmic rays, solar radiation etc. etc. Perfect conditions for mutation

Dr. Mordrid
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 August 2003, 08:49.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

The atmosphere would still block everything harmful, at least at "normal" altitudes. It's not like people on the ground at the polar regions where the magnetic field normally funnels particles get irradiated every time a there's a particle storm. But aircraft and low orbiting spacecraft would notice the difference; If you're flying over the poles at a high altitude during a extreme solar radiation storm you could get roughly 100 chest x-rays worth of exposure, probably something to avoid if you can help it. If the Earth's magnetic field gets all messy when it starts to flip it could force airlines to fly at lower altitudes during periods of strong solar activity even at lower lattitudes. Wouldn't be good for low Earth orbit satellites either, because unless they're polar orbiting they don't normaly get hit directly by the particle radiation. Geosynchronous ones (like the GEOS weather sats) are "used" to it, because strong storms commonly push the magnetic field past them closer to the Earth and exposing them directly to the solar environment. Here is a link to a supercomputer simulation that models the dynamo effect that generates the Earth's magnetic field and how it switches. BTW, the Sun does the same thing with it's magnetic field too, happens every 11 years during the active part of the solar cycle. The magnetism of the Martian crust (it doesn't have an active magnetic field anymore) also shows banding like the Earth's, showing that its magnetic field flipped at least a few times before it cooled off enough to lose it's dynamo effect.

Comment

I love mutations.
                        They are as near to chaos as one comes.
                        The human genome is actually quite pretty, when plotted as colours and bands of information. The coding parts add structur to the picture, but its the great big unwashed uncoding parts, that adds the beauty...

~~DukeP~~

Comment

The HAB Theory reminds me of the way the Creatonists prove their theorys
                          Last edited by Technoid; 2 September 2003, 02:42.
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

ROFL.

Oh, c'mon.

Actually I've been cracking up lately. There's this show on one of the religious channels that masquerades as a science/history show. It's hosted by Jerry Orbach (of Beauty & The Beast and Law & Order fame) but it's so bizarrely religious that it cracks me up.

Gpar_

Comment

Working...
                            X