Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canopus ADVC100 output + firewire question

Hello,

With the ADVC100, in what way is outputting to a connected analog device possible ? E.g. when playing back a video-clip: does it have to be played back from special software (Premiere, ...) in order for the clip to be outputed, or can it be done when using more "normal" video-playback software (mediaplayer ?) ?

According to the manual, there is added functionality when using a Canopus Firewire card:
    Auto (IMS) mode
    The ADVC-100’s IMS (Intelligent Mode Selector) mode can automatically determine whether you are importing
    digital or analog video, In this mode, the unit automatically detects if there is analog or DV input and switches to the appropriate mode.
    The IMS function works with Canopus DV Products and may not work with Apple and OHCI devices.
    The second quote says "may not work with OHCI", any experience with this ? Are there non-canopus cards with which this works ?
    When the ADVC-100 is connected to your Canopus capture card, you can perform the following functions:
    • DV devices can be controlled directly from the Canopus Edit/Video software.
    • Switch the DV device to OFF to use the analog input.
    • When you playback from the hard drive, the signal will be sent out to the DV device and analog output.
    • Switch DV device to ON to capture from DV device to hard drive.
    The third feature seems to be the one I inquired about in the beginning. Does this mean this output to analog is not possible with a non-Canopus card ?

There is a remark on compatibility issues with firewire cards having Texas Instruments chipsets. Any experience with that ? As I still need to buy the firewire, what makes don't use TI chipsets ?

Finally, are there by any chance PCI-X firewire hosts ?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Many questions!

The Canopus ADVC-100 will work with any software that accepts and transmits a DV type 1 stream via, as far as I'm aware, any IEEE-1394 card. I use mine with a Swann card, which has a VIA IEEE chipset, without any problems, in both directions. You do NOT need any other Canopus hardware or software to run it.

I switch manually between DV in to analogue out and analogue in to DV out.

I've never heard of problems with TI chipsets and cannot see how it could happen, if the DV stream they aceept and transmit is standard. Are you sure this isn't a commercial ploy to sell their own cards?
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I don't have the Canopus unit, but am using a DataVideo DAC-100 with no problems on TI chipset Firewire.

For simple and quick transfer to and from my DAC, I use a very good little freeware called DVIO. You can get it here...

For more elaborate transfers, I use Scenalyzer.
      You did what?

Comment

I had a look at the DVIO page. I don't see it can do anything that many other softwares do not. For example, I use MSP7 for capturing and outputting.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
          Many questions!
          Well, I started out with one, and gave it some more thought...
          The Canopus ADVC-100 will work with any software that accepts and transmits a DV type 1 stream via, as far as I'm aware, any IEEE-1394 card. I use mine with a Swann card, which has a VIA IEEE chipset, without any problems, in both directions. You do NOT need any other Canopus hardware or software to run it.

I switch manually between DV in to analogue out and analogue in to DV out.
          Ok, so if I understand this correctly, as long as you use a software that sends the videostream to the IEEE-1394 output, the Canopus should convert it ?

Does regular playback software do this ? Or is it only the video-editing programs ?
          (Thanks Country, the DVIO looks like a simple program that can be used for playback to DV ! )

You say you switch manually, but does the auto-switching work (even though it is not a Canopus card) ?

I've never heard of problems with TI chipsets and cannot see how it could happen, if the DV stream they aceept and transmit is standard. Are you sure this isn't a commercial ploy to sell their own cards? [/B]
          It could be... It is listed on this page, all the way down (there is a "known issues" section)
          #description Every baby should be taught good things, focus on your child and reward them according to their needs with some parenting tips from Canopus Kids.

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
            Ok, so if I understand this correctly, as long as you use a software that sends the videostream to the IEEE-1394 output, the Canopus should convert it ?

Does regular playback software do this ? Or is it only the video-editing programs ?

You say you switch manually, but does the auto-switching work (even though it is not a Canopus card) ?
            No comments on the above questions ?

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

1. Yes

2. May depend on the software and whether it allows you to send the stream to IEEE-1394.

3. I frankly don't know: I have mine set to manual (sw1-6 off), as it is so easy and sure to work in this mode. Sometimes I have several I/Os, so manual switching is desirable, for my way of working. I know exactly what I'm doing, that way.

Comment

Cool... thanks!

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

Working...
                X