Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• put sound where you want it

sounds very impressive
    Make sound fly overhead, swoop over your audience, or whisper in one person's ear from tens of meters away. Project sound against almost any object to create convincing virtual sources.
    Provide audio commentary for a specific area near an exhibit, without spreading sound to others nearby, and without headphones or obtrusive 'speaker domes'.
    http://www.holosonics.com/

Rakido
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

I think it would be useful to blame other people when you fart.
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

We've covered this before, I think. Too lazy to do a search. One bad thing is, combine it with tracking cameras and you've got a nonstop barrage of targeted audio advertising. Aimed JUST AT YOU!

*sigh*

Gpar_
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

dunno, searched for the site and the name of the company and didn't found anything ....

Yup, that could be a possible downside use, but i prefer to imagine such a thing for example in a cinema getting *real* (meant better than lame thx) sound effects ...

Rakido
        "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Imagine you hear voices talking to you - and when you turn to shout at them what they just called your mother, no one is there, and people are looking at you making an idiot of yourself. And 20 meters away is a sound projector targeting you with a new, very "in your face" ad.

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
            We've covered this before, I think. Too lazy to do a search. One bad thing is, combine it with tracking cameras and you've got a nonstop barrage of targeted audio advertising. Aimed JUST AT YOU!

*sigh*

Gpar_
            Theres already companies interested in doing this, and have some prototypes that they're testing... so you can enjoy walking down the street in a city and get advertisements beamed to a corner while you're waiting for the walk signal.. whee

Comment

I'm sure the marketing people will thing it's the greatest thing ever made, at least until people discover that being exposed to high intensity ultrasonics causes hearing loss or something. If these things become popular in public places and people start getting annoyed by them, it's a probably a good thing that anything splattered over the transducer (like eggs ) would disrupt the coherent beam and eliminate the "Advertisment ray" effect.
              Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 29 August 2003, 10:59.

Comment

Eggs? Hell, I'm going to splatter baseball bats on them.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm

*sigh*

Gpar_
                  It's Minority Report come to life. I remember this being posted here before as well. I'm going to wear ear blockers and reflective sunglasses everywhere whithin the next two years.

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Shit you mean I'll have to wear ear plugs on my rare visits to town.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

They do that shit and there's going to be a lot of borken speakers. These things are simply low or some probably not so low-powered sonic guns. Using the right frequency and volume these could really **** a person up. Imagine someone hacking into these.

Comment

Yeah, but they probably wouldn't have enough power to do damage... assuming its desngned correctly.
                        Reminds me of the military technology that uses a focused sonic wave gun to cause intense pain.

Comment

Working...
                        X