Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bitboys Acceleon FPGA board. (as seen at Asm 2003.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitboys Acceleon FPGA board. (as seen at Asm 2003.)

as promised, picture of Bitboys HARDWARE.

This board was shown at Assembly 2003 and is running at 6Mhz (if recal right.) And as well as everyone more down to business guys know, FPGA is prototyping platform that allows pretty quick changes on chip design, but limits the running speed. Final product could be integrated on same core with CPU, or can work as independent chip. Of Course, to get minimal power consumption (as usual in Handhelds.) integrated version is better.

for lower bandwidth users:

...and for the low flyiers':

I do have a close up shot about the screen, but unfortunately the seminar hall wasn't really a photograph studio what comes to light set up as well as my camera isn't high end, so it is more less bad.

btw... I have heard some "news" about nVidia's sollution on this same market and it looks like to be that all competitors will have some very strong points, but as well as weaknesses. (at least when compared to competitors products.) this includes PowerVR MBX as well. so afaik, it is really hard to say who will be the favourite of the first run.

Of course there's possibility that each company captures own market segment. the market is huge: all way from car stereo OSD to hand held pdas and gaming consoles.
    "Dippadai"

They were showing something similar a year or two ago as I recall. They're sure taking their sweet time developing this. Or is it another completely new design?
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

hmmm...yeah...wasn't there an AGP slot on the passé model?

Comment

So when do we get to see this in a retail device?

Comment

Bah, real men prototype with discrete components!

Comment

Ribbit: stuff that they showed on Asm2002 was actually 90% finished Acceleon G10. and afaik, NEC already uses it on some early 3g cellular phones. After that, 'boys have been busy designing two bigger models G20 and G30.

Jon P. Inghram: yeah, yeah... it was all about that back then when Amiga 1000 was developed.

bsdgeek: They mentioned that they do have customers but those deals weren't public yet. Guesstimate is something between next week and during next 12 months. And of course, as unconfirmed info, as early as in january this year NEC had working prototype 3g phones with Acceleon G10.

In any case, design is finished for all three models (G10, G20, G30) and is available as core license.

Kurt: that was actually Axe card. (I was the poster back then as well. ) Axe was / is last PC-product (or try out) that Bitboys designed. it consist 12 MB eDRAM and DX8 feature set. (PS 1.1 & VS 1.1) I don't know what's the situation of demo cards right now (Infineon, who was the responsible providing fab, pulled back from deal and Bitboys was left with 100% finished card for special fab, without fab line making them.), but a year ago they were waiting new set of chips from Infineon, because first set had some sort of screw up on Infineon side. (causing 70% chip to shortcut.) After Axe, Bitboys tried once more with codename Hammer, but they run out of money and had to look for new direction.

and now?? well, last years last quater they did net profit! (can you believe that??) and in interview they say now being "income funded" (bad translation, but you get the idea. )

as I said on spring time, I have been on summer holiday and actually I am still using dial up, but on sunday I'll be back!
            Last edited by Nappe1; 28 August 2003, 16:54.
            "Dippadai"

Comment

Nappe1: Makes sense, will be neat to see some devices out, maybe using G30?

Also, I heard Axe ran really hot and they were going to do one more revision to fix that. Was that Hammer? (Or the new set of chips from Infineon?)

I know it really doesn't matter, since it's all done and nothing happened, but it is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
                Nappe1: Makes sense, will be neat to see some devices out, maybe using G30?

Also, I heard Axe ran really hot and they were going to do one more revision to fix that. Was that Hammer? (Or the new set of chips from Infineon?)

I know it really doesn't matter, since it's all done and nothing happened, but it is fun!
                Hot? well, you can say that... even with most efficient air cooling device from computer cooling shop, chip smelted off from PCB within 30 seconds. This was the chip revision that was founded being 70% shortcutted shortly after.)

I don't know what happened to next shipment chips. So, there's possibility that there is Axe cards that are shown only to V.I.P...
                (afaik, drivers were ready even before the chip was. thanks to 100% software simulation, drivers could be developed at the same time as the chip) The official word is that Axe has been put on "ice", what ever that means in this case.

Hammer never made to the silicon. Still, it would have had much lmore differences than Glaze3D and Axe had. (Axe was based on work done for Glaze3D.)
                "Dippadai"

Comment

Originally posted by Nappe1
                  Hot? well, you can say that... even with most efficient air cooling device from computer cooling shop, chip smelted off from PCB within 30 seconds. This was the chip revision that was founded being 70% shortcutted shortly after.)

I don't know what happened to next shipment chips. So, there's possibility that there is Axe cards that are shown only to V.I.P...
                  (afaik, drivers were ready even before the chip was. thanks to 100% software simulation, drivers could be developed at the same time as the chip) The official word is that Axe has been put on "ice", what ever that means in this case.

Hammer never made to the silicon. Still, it would have had much lmore differences than Glaze3D and Axe had. (Axe was based on work done for Glaze3D.)
                  Hehe, that certainly could be a problem, and I assume by most efficient air cooling device you mean dustbuster?

It's pretty cool what they can do with those simulators. (IKOS box?)

Comment

LOL more things coming from Bitboys Oy! Always nice to see more "competition".

But where is their GeForce 3 kller anyways?

and speaking of killers, where are the S3 DeltaChromes (supposeddly to be the first 0.13um 8 pixel pipeline core ), and where are the Trident XP4s? I thought they were shipping it last year

So many darm vapourware, its not even funny. Well, the funny thing is ATI and nV are still the only 2 players in the gaming industry. HAHA. I thought this was supposed to change...

Oh yea...

nevertheless,

Great news Nappe1! Really apperciate it! At least we know they are going into the PDA market for real!

I wonder how they get money for RnD without any product release over the past 10 yeras :|

Comment

DeltaChrome is supposed to be available this winter, and Trident merged with SiS graphics to form XGI, who knows what the deal is there.

Comment

hmm... great news bsdgeek!

Can't wait for DeltaChrome to come out! Though their drivers must suck (1st reason is VIA, 2nd reason is S3 themselves ).

and wow! never knew Trident merged with SiS graphics... lol...

I am so outdated then

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer

I am so outdated then
                          maybe if you would start to read previous posts before posting, you might know much more than now...

"The GeForce3 Killer" is mentioned in my previous post with explanation what happened to it. and what comes to XP4, it did came out already on Jan-Feb time frame and there was even some cards announced, but it was awfully slow. (plus Trident did try to some nVidia/ATi style "optimizations" on 3DMark2001SE... ...and even get caught on that.)
                          Last edited by Nappe1; 30 August 2003, 01:35.
                          "Dippadai"

Comment

and what comes to S3's drivers, there's quite lot of ppl saying that old S3 (that has almost 0% to do with nowadays S3, because 90% of Staff has changed.) did actually have pretty good driver team and their problem was the hardware and it's faults.

And well... ATi's Catalyst team has quite lot old S3 driver team members, so... antoher reason to believe that HW sucked. if we look ATi's drivers now and 3 years ago, I could say that frog has turned to prince. (but not the king.)
                            "Dippadai"

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek

1. Hehe, that certainly could be a problem, and I assume by most efficient air cooling device you mean dustbuster?

2. It's pretty cool what they can do with those simulators. (IKOS box?)
                              1. actually, we are talking about very heavy duty copper sink and coolers for CPUs in this case. Still, pretty hot.

2. well, what you see in the picture, is actually something like IKOS box. But because chip is going to be a lot smaller than nowadays desktop monsters, it won't need so much room. In case of bitboys, they developed their own synthetic tools, which allows them basically use programming language close to C to design chips. As well as they have software that runs this language as 100% identical on clock level. (developing their own tools for ASIC design was the main reason to Glaze3D delays.)
                              "Dippadai"

Comment

Working...
                              X