Sell your diamonds..NOW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell your diamonds..NOW

Manufacturering of high quality large diamonds is a Reality now.

I knew it would happen eventually

let me see...diamond heatsink
    Diamond car engine. (diamond coated ceramic maybe)
    Diamond Glasses..cool
    Diamond teeth...

Diamond coated this and that..oh man

saw those articles before, but come to think of it

yes, sell them all NOW!!!!

good excuse if girls ask to buy diamonds. Tell them silicon chips will be more vaulable eventually

Benefits for the guys

I like this news haha

Comment

A couple of years ago, there were some articles that we might be entering the diamond age... This is backing that hypothesis up.

However, to the best of my knowledge, making "large" diamonds is very expensive (well over the cost of the diamond). Also, impurities must be introduced in industrially made diamonds, so that they show a slight shift in colour when put under a special light (don't remeber if it is UV or infrared).

Making ruby's and sapphires has been possible for quite some time, and doesn't seem to have impacted the price of the gems...

On the fun part:
      "I gave my girlfriend a 512 MB ring !"
      "Did you get the matching GPU-necklace ?"

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Hmm funnily enough I do have some diamonds to sell . Maybe I should get off my arse and do something about it.
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

No. Natural stones will always be worth more. Lab-created rubies, emeralds, and sapphires are nice, but haven't affected the overall price of natural stones very much at all. There will be SOME fluctuation. If you want to sell your diamonds based on the idea that they might drop 10% and you'd realize a profit, go for it. But don't sell because they'll become worthless, 'cuz that just isn't gonna happen.

Gpar_
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

VJ read the articles, one is quite long. the detection of the second style is almost impossible
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I don't want to sell because of any vague potential loss in value, but because I don't want them and want the cash... just hope there aren't any tax complications as these were bought in Australia "tax free" and no tax was paid on entry to the UK

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
                VJ read the articles, one is quite long. the detection of the second style is almost impossible
                Yes, but I meant that *legally* the industrial diamonds may not be made 100% pure. The manufacturer must (at least, it was put like that in the previous articles I read on it) introduce impurities to make the diamond distinguishable from natural diamonds.
                (it is not a technical obligation, but a legal one )

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                  No. Natural stones will always be worth more. Lab-created rubies, emeralds, and sapphires are nice, but haven't affected the overall price of natural stones very much at all. There will be SOME fluctuation. If you want to sell your diamonds based on the idea that they might drop 10% and you'd realize a profit, go for it. But don't sell because they'll become worthless, 'cuz that just isn't gonna happen.

Gpar_
                  Yes this is very true. of couse telling a fake from a real is hard, but doable. and you can be sure Debeers isn't going to let the price of a natural diamond fall...

~Sethos
                  "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Hmmm......
                    I've got a place in my garden where a 75kg diamond would look realy nice.
                    chuck
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Well De Beers has that system going now where they make a tiny engraving inside with a laser or something to guarantee genuineness or something - guess this would take care of that...

Comment

Yeppers. De Beers has a monopoly on diamonds. Why the feds are after Microsoft and not De Beers is beyond me, that is the slimiest family on the face of the earth.

And yeah, if these lab-created gems catch on, De Beers will rein in the amount of "real" diamonds getting out in order to bump up prices. But it's a dangerous game... if they bump the prices TOO MUCH, people will just buy the created gems.

Gpar_
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the diamond cartel starts a campaign saying stuff like "Its not a diamond if its not from De Beers"... or "Isn't she worth it to give her the real thing?".. stuff like that to try to make people think that only a diamond that was mined counts, even though the man-made one is the same quality.

Comment

According to the Wired article, with the boston company's diamonds, the only way to tell they're fake is that they're too perfect. You just don't find such perfect diamonds naturally. Physically and chemically, they're absolutely 100% pure diamond.

They also said they can make up to 3 carat stones at a price of about $5 per carat. Hopefully they'll be on the market before I get engaged
                            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Don't worry about De Beers. There are plenty of people who will choose real diamonds over synthetic any day, just for bragging rights. As Gurm said, the introduction of synthetic gems in the past hasn't significantly impacted the market of real stones.

Just give me one of those 200GHz Diamond CPUs!

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X