New computer, memory help, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New computer, memory help, please.

My daughter needs help to purchase a new computer.
    Her decision is:

CPU: AMD XP 2400- 2.0 GHz (266 Fsb ?),
    MoBo: ASUS A7N8X-X 400/333/266 Fsb,
    Memory: 512 DDR ??? Fsb

My questions are about the memory.
    Should we buy DDR memory for 400 Fsb for future CPU upgrade, or should we purchase DDRs with 333 alt 266 Fsb?

7.5 x 266 = 1995 MHz
    6.0 x 333 = 1998 MHz
    4.0 x 400 = 2000 MHz

I assume that the motherboard allows all this multiplier combinations, but does the XP 2400 that?

I am little confused, please help us.

Fred H
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
    ------------------------------------------------

You need to half those FSB numbers you listed. 400MHz FSB is 200MHz DDR. And 4x400 equalls 1600. You may possibly be forced to unlock your CPU if you want to run it at a higher FSB though, some MB's do this for free though if you go with the 2400+.

The answer depends on when you want to upgrade off course. If you won't upgrade in the nearest 1.5-2 years then maybe just a processor upgrade aren't enough as the Athlon will soon be discontinued.

Another issue is price, as DDR400 aren't that much more expensive than DDR333(~100-200spänn) then maybe it would be wiser to pick up a pair of 256MB 400MHz modules.

Check out this store, they are very reliable http://www.styggapojken.com/, if you live somewhere close to Malmö you can pick up the stuff yourself, and then off course you have datorbutiken. But then again maybe you don't want to order over the net.

Good luck in your purchase.

Comment

Thanks, Novdid.
      She (my daughter) will pick up the stuff herself from Multidirekt in Helsingborg , and she'll let them assemble the box.
      I don’t think they will unlock the CPU., and I don't think she will upgrade in the nearest future. Neither will she overclock.
      Sorry, 4x400 is wrong, I meant 5x400, but it is also wrong.

The FSB should be 200 MHz for the XP 2400 (max. 266) and then the DDRs will be fine with 2x256 DDR-400.
      The multiplier will be probably 10x200(FSB) = 2000 MHz.

Hehehe, I’ve built my own Athlon 1.33 GHz machine for years ago and the mobo is jumped to 133 Fsb. (100 is also allowed) I’ve been just confused…
      Thanks for helping.

Fred H

P.S. I am living in Halmstad.
      It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
      ------------------------------------------------

Comment

With that combo their is no unlocking invloved

I have a7n8x(deluxe) and 2400xp, its unlocked from the start..

It runs very happily at 205x11=2255.

I do have one little recomendation, get as single 512 stick and that way she will still have a nice easy mem upgrade without doing a memory stick shuffle...

And she will find the single channel performance more than adequate and she will have a nice (simple) memory/performance boost to look for in the future.
        (I can give you some very nice, single stick 200fsb mem benchmarks to prove my point)
        Last edited by Marshmallowman; 26 August 2003, 18:33.

Comment

Working...
        X