P750 with CRT and TV - playing DVDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P750 with CRT and TV - playing DVDs

Humm... I've spent several hours now fiddling with my P750 trying to play back DVDs on the TV. I'm not sure that I've really got the best configuration, but it just about seems to work (well most of the time).

What I'd like is simply to watch a DVD on the attached TV and have my normal desktop on the CRT at high resolution and high refresh rate. It can't be impossible.

Within the last few minutes, I've managed to almost get it... I've got it set up as 1 CRT + feature TV. DVD MAX is enabled. I'm using WinDVD and disabled the hardware decode acceleration.

The funny thing is that I've got this Internet Explorer window over the WinDVD window - if I minimise the WinDVD window, the video freezes on the TV.

Also, it looks like any hardware acceleration enabled and phut, there goes the resolution and refresh rate on the main CRT.

Now Windows Media Player always seems to drop screen resolution when it starts playing the DVD - there may be some setting somewhere that will stop it... Funny thing here is that when I minimise the window, it keeps on playing on the TV.

Okay, so is there a better way of doing this - where am I going wrong???

Thanks a lot for you help everyone.

Taliska
    Gigabyte GA-8KNXP, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 1Gbyte DDR400 RAM
    Matrox P750, Matrox RT.X10
    2x Maxtor 120G & 1x 300G SATA drives, Panasonic DVD-RAM drive
    Windows XP Pro, Premiere Pro 7.0

Hi Taliska

Try out PowerDVD. That one also keeps on playing when minimized. In PureVideo/DSDMax Setings be sure to select Preserve aspect ratio based on Video source, and Preserve source cropping.
    Peter Aragon
    Matrox Parhelia 128 Retail, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 454, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, Pentium IV 2.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB, Maxtor 120GB S-ATA, 512MB Mem, SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, Gigaworks S750 speakers, AOpen DVD-R, Pioneer 16x DVD-106, 3COM 905C Networkcard.

Comment

off topic: hey peter nice avatar! .NET Style

back to subject: I think WMP is a bad DVD player... it plays slower than other DVD players...

I'd say PowerDVD also. It came with my Asus card and its great! Very fast, stable, and light

Comment

Not PowerDVD 5. People are having tons of us in problems with it, and the support seems to suck.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
        X