No announcement yet.

Why always LinkSys or NetGear routers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why always LinkSys or NetGear routers?

Just curious, but why doesn't anyone use 3com stuff? Or is it just that the people with the 3com equipment never have any problems and thus never bring attention to themselves?

I use Zyxel exclusively. Linksys router I owned was a POS.

Comment

I got LevelOne for testing.

Why not 3COM, beacause it costs about 3-times as much.

Comment

I had a 3com 10/100 hub I sold to the office when i got my netgear router/switch. Never had a problem with it, except I couldn't stack stuff on top of it because of the domelike top.

Comment

My DLink router works just fine....and they have some really kickass support....
          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Because I work for Cisco and Linksys is a subsidiary of Cisco
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Ok, was just wondering why people use brands that are so notorious for problems. Figured it was just a price issue.

Comment

The Linksys router was $80 when I got it 4 years ago and it hasn't given me problems until now.
                Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Anyone have a dlink 804?

Comment

just curious: did linksys improved after being acquired by Cisco?

Well, Linksys is always not bad

Comment

I seem to recall 3COM NICs having had well-documented issues with Cable Modems and Auto-Negotiation in general.

I've had really good experiences with Linksys in general...I did have some problems with one of their NICs not liking a particular configuration in Windows 98, but Win2K, and WinXP have been absolutely trouble free.

With Linux, Linksys cards generally work without any problems, but some of my older linkys cards hate the latest DEC driver. I've had to revert to an older module to get them to work.
                      Last edited by MultimediaMan; 24 August 2003, 21:09.
                      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I've also had great luck with Linksys hardware...enough so that all my NIC's are LNE100TX's and the Router/Switch/NAT are by them. NO troubles at all.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I bought a Linksys when I first set up my broadband. I've never had a problem with either the router BEFSR41 or the NICs LNE100TX v.5.

One switch had one bad port but that is the only problem.

Comment

I use Linksys - never had any problems whatsoever.
                            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

@Jon P. Inghram: 3com has a cheap "router", the OfficeConnect Cable/DSL Gateway. I bought several for less than €40. I can't say I'm particularly impressed with the config software but I haven't had problems so far (2 months now).

Comment

Working...
                              X