Linksys Router keeps disconnecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linksys Router keeps disconnecting

I have a BEFSR41 w/ Dec 2002 firmware. 2 computers are hooked to it. I have Comcast cable.

I'm constantly losing my Internet connection at random intervals. Sometimes it'll happen every few hours, sometimes it'll be okay all day. Whenever I lose the connection I just unplug the router's power, wait 15 secs, plug it back in and everything is fine.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Not seen that problem here - same router hooked to an adsl modem.

Not sure what to suggest... Although have you tried going to the router's admin pages when it plays up, and pressing the DHCP renew button? Easier than unplugging the router...
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

There is a newer firmware that has solved this issue for some.

There's a discussion about the 1.45.6 firmware here

1.45.6 download

Linksys- A division of Cisco Systems, Inc.

Firmware Date : June 24, 2003
      Current Firmware : Version 1.45.6
      Product PartNo : BEFSR41/BEFSR11/BEFSRU31

Release Notes
      ----------------------

Below is a list of enhancements made on the Router's firmware version 1.45.6:

1. Fixed the Enable option in the port forwarding option
      2. Added PPPOE service name for PPPOE connection type
      3. Modify host name field length from 31 to 39
      4. FixED PPPoE mode change that would not restore MTU settings
      5. Fixed web upgrade issue using iMAC (netscape/Internet Explore).
      6. Fixed MSN messenger with Windows Messenger file transfer.
      7. Fixed mulitple IPsec VPN pass-through connection
      8. Added Xbox support(not certified by Microsoft).
      9. Fixed mulitple PPTP VPN pass-through connection.

Comment

Tried the latest firmware, and no improvement.

Clarification, I lose my connection to the router, so I can't renew the IP. The other computer we have hooked up also loses its connection to the router, so it doesn't seem like something on my computer's end.
        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Cable or DSL? DSL is prone to those kinds of problems sometimes. Also, have you tried bypassing the Linksys and does the problem still happen?

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Cable, when I had DSL at my parent's home I never had these problems

I haven't been able to test a direct connect, because we have 2 computers and no telling how long before it will give out again.

Comment

May be a silly question

Have you tried a hard reset of your router??
              Linksys recommends holding the reset button on the router for 30 seconds or more

Comment

I've had the same trouble. Do the lights go crazy on the cable modem? It can happen due to signal quality and not having a splitter with a wide enough frequency range or too many splits for that matter.

Comment

Well, since he said it loses connection between his computers and the router, so that he can't even connect to the admin pages of the router, I don't think it is his internet connection causing the problems unless there is a known hack for it that is causing the router to stop functioning properly.

However, I could be wrong as I have never messed with one of those router systems. I have always stuck with my old computer (p166) as a linux gateway/firewall/dhcp server for my home lan.

Comment

I've seen this happen ONCE.

The problem: a bad modem.

Comcast replaced the old Toshiba I got from MediaOne with a new SurBoard and no problems since (2 years).

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                    X