Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sound card recomendations - anything new on horizon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound card recomendations - anything new on horizon?

im a budding rock start in need of a way to record some of my bands material onto computer with as decent a quality as my budget affords, i was looking towards the creative audigy2 platinum series as my budget is about £200 ($300) and i need the card act as a general windows soundcard too, i dont really know much about the technicalities when it comes to sound cards so has anyone got any recomendations?i currently have an OEM audigy1, will the audig2 platinum give me anythin except extra inputs. also is it a good time to buy now as the audigy2 has been out for some time now, is there an audigy3 on the horizon? many thanks for any help.
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

borat:

For your stated needs, pick the model with the feature set/price that suits you best from this company.

Seit ihrer Gründung im Jahr 2001 hat sich die Terratec als erfolgreicher Hersteller qualitativ hochwertiger Computerhardware fast aller Einsatzbereiche etabliert. Zur Markenfamilie gehören die Brands: ultron, RealPower, ultron boomer, Ultraforce, TakeMS und Rasurbo. Das Angebot reicht von günstigen Netzteilen, Servergehäusen und mobilen Ladegeräten über verschiedenste Eingabegeräte bis zu mobilen Bluetooth Lautsprechern und qualitativ hochwertigen Headsets.

AFAIK, they came to computers from the musician/recording side of the electronics industry and not from the primarily gaming side as Creative does.

If you find them a bit pricey, take a look at what a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz will do for you.

Happy trails,
    WinXP HE SP1& DX9b; Lian-Li PC-6089 mid alum case; Enermax 550W PSU; P4 2.8b retail; Asus P4T533-C s478/i850e; 1GB PC1066 RIMMs; Promise Ultra133 IDE PCI controller; 2x80GB Maxtor D740x 7200RPM ATA-133 HDDs; OrangeLink FireWire 800/1394b PCI card:
    1x250GB Maxtor One Touch USB2/fw external Ultra ATA-133 7200RPM HDD; Toshiba 16x/48x DVD-ROM; Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD?R/RW CD-R/RW burner; Radeon 9800 XT retail; DVI: Samsung SyncMaster 213L 21.3" TFT; VGA: ViewSonic 22? P225f; TV OUT S-Video: Sony 36? WEGA XBR400 NTSC; TerraTec DMX 6fire LT sound card to Denon 3802 7x110W based HT; on-board LAN to Alcatel ADSL modem; Canon S750 USB printer; Canon D125O USB2 scanner; Logitech diNovo Media Desktop (Bluetooth cordless keyboard/MX900 optical mouse); Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless USB Joystick; Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D USB joystick; Logitech 2.4GHz Cordless Gamepad/Rumblepad.

Comment

Whoops!

Turtle Beach delivers a wide selection of industry leading, award-winning gaming headsets. Our sole mission is to help every player play their best - at every level in every game.
      WinXP HE SP1& DX9b; Lian-Li PC-6089 mid alum case; Enermax 550W PSU; P4 2.8b retail; Asus P4T533-C s478/i850e; 1GB PC1066 RIMMs; Promise Ultra133 IDE PCI controller; 2x80GB Maxtor D740x 7200RPM ATA-133 HDDs; OrangeLink FireWire 800/1394b PCI card:
      1x250GB Maxtor One Touch USB2/fw external Ultra ATA-133 7200RPM HDD; Toshiba 16x/48x DVD-ROM; Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD?R/RW CD-R/RW burner; Radeon 9800 XT retail; DVI: Samsung SyncMaster 213L 21.3" TFT; VGA: ViewSonic 22? P225f; TV OUT S-Video: Sony 36? WEGA XBR400 NTSC; TerraTec DMX 6fire LT sound card to Denon 3802 7x110W based HT; on-board LAN to Alcatel ADSL modem; Canon S750 USB printer; Canon D125O USB2 scanner; Logitech diNovo Media Desktop (Bluetooth cordless keyboard/MX900 optical mouse); Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless USB Joystick; Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D USB joystick; Logitech 2.4GHz Cordless Gamepad/Rumblepad.

Comment

Never used one myself but have heard many good things about the quality of M-Audio cards.

The Delta series is for professional sound work; the Revolution is used by many who build home theater computers.

Acclaimed audio interfaces, studio monitors, and keyboard controllers

Thien
        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
        Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Terratec 6Fire 24/96 is a great musician's card, if you don't need to record more than 2 channels at once.

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

forget creative labs, that's all I have to say. (and if you can afford a Audigy 2 platinum, grab a terratec instead. heard good things about them.

Otherwise, Senta Cruz is good if you can find them. (good price for a great piece of hardware)

Comment

Ditto:

Forget Creative.

Go Terratec or M-Audio on the high end,

Otherwise TBSC or Hercules Digifire or Game TheatreXP (they have same Crystal sound chip AFAIK.)

Comment

I'd tell you to get the Terratec DMX 6 Fire 24/96 as well.

Otherwise, if you really want to get serious, check out the MAudio Delta 1010.
                Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

[time] *bsdgeek hears Creative and hurls

I'd say M-Audio Revolution, or the Terratec Aureon (? The one that uses Envy24)

Comment

I went from Soundblaster Live to Audigy2 to M-Audio Revolution in a relatively short period of time. I think the M-Audio Revolution is the superior sounding board, although I understand it's not the best gaming board.

Paul

Comment

The one that Uses the Envy24 (the better variant, not the Envy 24HT) is the 6Fire 24/96.

Oh, also, I think I still have plans here from a c't project to build your own high quality microphone amp with Burr Brown ICs for cheap - because virtually all soundcards have a poor mic in. The 6Fire 24/96's is a little (or a lot?) better, but would still lose out to a separate mic preamp. If you want, I'll search for the issue and send you photographs of the article (in german, but the circuit board plans etc. should be readable anyway).

AZ

Comment

What's the difference between the basic, LT and 24/96 versions of the DMX 6Fire ?

Comment

Have a poke around Hoontech (http://www.hoontech.com/ or maybe http://www.hoontech.co.uk/ if you're flash-impaired). Another musician/recording-oriented company. I haven't used any of their professional kit, but we've got three of their 4DWaveNXs installed round here and we're very happy with them. Their Audio DSP24 is Envy24-based.
                          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Admiral, the LT doesn't have the drive bay thingy, but instead has the digital in and out (Optical only, I THINK) on a card slot cover.

AZ

Comment

I use Santa Cruz's in most all my editing systems save for the audio workstation. In that one is an Echo GINA24 24/96 card. It's no game card, but one helluva basic studio card.

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid
                              ----------------------------
                              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                              X