matrox millenium G550 -- frequency problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matrox millenium G550 -- frequency problem

I have a computer running windows 2000 pro.
    Using matrox millenium G550 card.

This works fine.

I recently installed red hat linux 9.
    When i try to boot it up, it goes through the boot process.
    When that is complete, the screen goes blank and a signal error appears.

SIGNAL ERROR:

Signal 1
    fH : 37.0khz
    fV : 36.0khz

I've checked the troublsehooting guide for my monitor (flexscan l685). It says refer to the manual for the software utility of the graphic card. I've looked in the manual and can't find the solution to the problem.

My card is currently configured to:

resolution: 1024x768
    refresh rate: 85hz

Is there anyone who could help? or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Is it automatically activating X-Windows?
    Can you get to the command prompt?

Comment

no it doesn't load X-Windows. It goes through a check of stuff including a check for new hardware, ethernet link/cable and loads of other stuff.

The only command line/prompt i can get to is the one when u have to press 'c' to go to it in the GRUB loader.

Another thing you should know is that this is the first time i have used any version of linux.

I have also come across something else, on the CD for my graphics card - it has some drivers for linux. I would have to install these. Would this be the problem?
      If it is, then how can i install them without even going into linux?

Thanx in advance

Comment

i have the exact same problem on my GeForce. The screen is out of range on first boot up... can't view X window. dunno how to fix it. This is a known issue from nVIDIA, I think for all kernel 2.4 Linux...

However, I used to run G550 with RH9. No problem there. I automatically detects the card on installation, and works flawlessly.

Comment

what do you mean "screen is out of range"?

Comment

Working...
          X