No announcement yet.

Netgear causes unintentional large scale denial of service on U of Wisconsin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netgear causes unintentional large scale denial of service on U of Wisconsin

If you have any of the following models of netgear broadband routers (I do!), please go to netgear.com and get the latest firmware upgrade for it. Please forward to any friends that you know of that have one of these too. They all have a flaw in their built in NTP (network time protocol) client, and they're flooding U of Wisconsin's public NTP server with up to 426 megabits/second of traffic (there have been over 700,000 of these devices sold so far).

RP614
    RP614v2
    MR814
    DG814
    HR314

Spread the word!
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Another classic case of people not checking for updates. Guess what I'm not effected.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Actually, the latest firmware for my DG814 isn't as stable....
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

yup.. the new 1.8 cause random stalls in the connection.

The only firmware that works is the original 1.4
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I already had the curent 5.1 for my MR814. It is much better than my old Linksys. No disconnects at all.
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

have the latest firmware (5.13) for my week old RP614v.2.. tho it might still go back to the store

Open to suggestions for another choice, including one which includes SPI firewall.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

grr... does anyone know the cause of the disconnects... the only way to resolve them is a quick power recycle...

Comment

Working...
              X