Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Price, DirectX 8 beta tester, give us the low-down on DX8!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Price, DirectX 8 beta tester, give us the low-down on DX8!

John,

I'm sure a lot of current/would be Pyro owners are dying for some good news about the MS DV Codec improvements rumored in DX8. Now that it's out of beta, what's the scoop?

Thanks in advance !!

-Anthony
    Anthony
    • Slot 1 Celeron 400, Asus P2B, 256MB PC-100
    • AGP Marvel-TV 8MB NTSC
    • Turtle Beach Montego PCI sound card
    • C: IBM 10.1, 5400, Primary on 1, System, Swap, Software
    • D: IBM 13.5, 5400, Primary on 2, Dedicated to video
    • E: Memorex 48x CD, Secondary on 1
    • F: Yamaha CD-RW 2x2x8, Secondary on 2
    • Win98, FAT32 on C: & D:
    • MediaStudio Pro 5.2

Hi

I ain't a beta testa for DX8

I was given the new qdv.dll file

NTSC users have seen an improvement re Green hue on transitions.

PAL users were OK anyways

I haven't downlaoded DX8 yet to see if the qdv.dll file is newer

Regards

johnpr98
    http://www.johnpr98.com

Comment

Doc what triggers the vertical striations you mentioned?

I've not seen it. I don't do lots of elaborate transions but I did have to apply MSPro6 Brightness&Contrast, Hue&Saturation, and sharpening to a a firewire capture from a Hi8 tape to make it blend in with the rest of the DV clips. This should force rendering the whole clip and I ended up pretty happy with the results -- sure didn't see any vertical artifacts -- but I had a pretty plain off-white cloth background.

Is it just me or is MSPro "brain-dead" with stacked filters like this? Each filter's option preview was only that one filter acting on the original video leaving me to guess at the final result. Given the rather long render times this was pretty hard to use. So what I did, was "cut" a 5 second or so part of the clip and apply the filters to just that small segment and repeat as necessary until I got the correction I liked. I then applied the filters to the remainder of the clip. I'm hoping there is a better way that I don't know about as this was prety tedious.

--wally.

Comment

sure didn't see any vertical artifacts
        I don't think you were alone amongst Pyro users not seeing them, Dmitri had them on his tests, I managed to duplicate the vertical lines after converting to NTSC, they seemed to show on every other grab, More to do with still capture than real life editing in my analysis.

I expect it scared loads of punters off to cards with a higher mark up though

To me the quality doesn't get any better than firewire unless you go up to Broadcast standard.

johnpr98
        http://www.johnpr98.com

Comment

Getting rid of that d**n green hue would be great, but I'm also wondering about the vertical striations that showed up after recompression. Now THAT was annoying. You could at least apply a color filter for the hue issue....

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
          X