Bye Bye ADSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye Bye ADSL

Moving house next week and I have just found out that I cannot simply trasfer my ADSL connection as I was led to believe.
    My company, Zen, want £50 for a 'reconnection' fee. I have sent an email to their customer services manager pointing out the *most* companies are now offering free installation AND one month free rental.

My current supplier has been fantastic. No noticable downtime in 10months. However they are nto the cheapest.
    The downside is that most alternative companies want a minimum 12months subscription, whilst Zen only ask for one month.

Can anyone recommend an alternative company. Preferably one that has a minimun contract of less than 6months. I will be moving on again in ~10months time.

Cheers for any advice.

Paddy
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Check out http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ - pretty good listings of UK ISPs.

I'm with FreeUK but that's only because I am locked into a 12 months contract - ended up stumping up the activation fee again when moving house this weekend 'cos it was cheaper than continuing to pay the monthly fee whilst also paying another ISP who did free activation.
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Plusnet 18.99 a month and tech suport that knowm when there servers are down. This has happened only once due to a fire that cut the power to the exchange.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Anyone heard of these guys???

For £30 a month they are offering

512/256kb at peak time
        And upto 2Mb off peak

That's not that much more than what i am paying now.....
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
          Anyone heard of these guys???

For £30 a month they are offering

512/256kb at peak time
          And upto 2Mb off peak

That's not that much more than what i am paying now.....
          when is 2Mb not 2Mb?

Comment

Cheers Ayoub... i'll keep looking then

Comment

Bah! I can't finde ANYTHING that has a one month minimun contract and no activation fee.

All ISPs that have free activation seem to have a penalty if you cancel within 12months....

Plus non of them seem to offer static IPs as standard....

Perhaps i should stick with Zen and pay the £50.....

Comment

Virgin.net

No activation fee. 512/256. No contract. £25/month. No cancellation fee except for final month usage fee.

No static IP.

J1NG

Comment

Oh wait, is this for 2MB or any ADSL?

J1NG

Comment

Any, but i would prefer to have a static IP for hosting purposes....

Comment

Why? DynDNS...

AZ
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Or better yet, get cheap websace from oneandone.co.uk (NOT 1and1.co.uk) - I've got 75 megs from their german mother, costs 3 eur/month, includes 100 email addresses, and is FAST.

AZ
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Cheers... I'll go with Virgin.... at £25 a month - that will do until i can find a better offer. This is exactly what i need.... quick and dirty internet access with no strings...

Cheers lads.

Comment

Pipex's minumum contract is 1 month, and no activation fee (£17 installation includes a modem!). But if you leave within 12 months then you have to pay the £50+vat activation fee they originally let you off of.

Comment

aye.. that's the problem.....

Are you with cable?

Comment

Working...
                              X