This is an IT solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is an IT solution?

At work we rent out space in a building currently about a quarter full, 8 companies in all, between us around 100 PCs. We all use the buildings network infrastructure and Net connection. Everything has been fine until 3 weeks ago they decided to switch the company handling the IT in the building. They came in, never spoke to any of us, and installed their new hardware, straight away we lost the ability to run multiple VPN connections which is a bit of a pain in the arse as we need 5 to 10 sessions running concurrently. Went around the houses with them on that for two weeks but no fix, looks to me like they haven't enabled transparent tunneling on their router.

But before the VPN situation could be sorted we lost the Net connection, turns out BT had "accidently" been told to terminate the ADSL line and contract! The IT company tell us it is going to take 60 days (bullshit) to get the ADSL back but they will get us a temporary connection in the meantime. So a few days later we have a Net connection again, but damn it's slow so I investigate. It seems they came along with a nice shiny PC, and a 56K modem and installed that as the new Net connection, remember we have 8 companies and around 100 PCs hanging of this.

So we trundle along slowly but then suddenly the Net connection has gone again. Turns out our new setup hasn't got a firewall, hasn't had the RPC patch, got infected with the blaster virus, infected all unpatched PCs in the building, rolled over and died. This was Monday morning, this afternoon (Thursday) they had finally cleaned up their "server" *cough* and got us a Net connection once again, although it's running at about a tenth the speed it was previously, they must have enabled one of those new fangled pieces of firewall software. Can't wait until we get the ADSL line back to see what they do with that.

I wish I had known this was going out to tender as I'd have put in myself, I could handle it all in my lunch breaks.

Well sack the users who didn't patch their machines when it was orginaly released. By the way VPN will allow the virus striaght in firewall or not. Sack the new IT company.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

You were probably scamed by professionals in suits. People in suits like other people in suits. People who like other people in suits give people in suits contracts.
      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Re: This is an IT solution?

If we treated our companies with that kind of service we'd be fired right away. Too bad you can't make the decisions. In this day and age, that kind of service for networking is unacceptable.

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

What sort of SLA do you have with the building managers re. IT service? One with lots of holes in by the looks of things...
          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Strange that the "IT-Technicians" could get away unhurt after all those blunders, entering and exiting the building

Cat5 cable is strong enough to be used to "diffrent" things
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
              Strange that the "IT-Technicians" could get away unhurt after all those blunders, entering and exiting the building

Cat5 cable is strong enough to be used to "diffrent" things
              Someone else who reads BOFH.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Actualy, after reading a few BOFH I started to dislike him

And about halfways through the chapters I Really wanted to do some "creative cat5 cabling" on him
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

BOFH???

Ant, that's ridiculous.. sounds like they have caused massive disruption to your business. A lawsuit is definitely in order.
                  Last edited by KvHagedorn; 21 August 2003, 17:08.

Comment

wtf? Dialup shared between 100 computers? I am using ADSL, and I am complaining about its speed... not to mention this is an office building you are talking about

and wth... 60 days for ADSL... that is just sad

Comment

I'm with KvH on this one. Sue or at least threaten to sue. The next complaint the people responsible should hear should come from an attorney.

Paul

Comment

KvH: Bastard Operator From Hell.
                        <font size="-4">User error:
                        Replace user and try again.
                        System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
                        System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
                        </font>

Comment

Ah thank you Zao

Comment

BT quote a maximum of 10days for ADSL installation.
                            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

It's usually less than 5.
                              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                              X