Oh come on Windoze updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh come on Windoze updates

Someone tell me why Windoze update on win2k/xp doesn't automatically install the updates when you ask it too???
    I've seen this on five different machines. Download at XXX time and install the buggers. It just flashes up saying they're ready too install and you still have to click on install.This isn't good.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

WU, has been a bit weird lately
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I always download the patches manually, never ever bothered with windows update.
      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Originally posted by KeiFront
        I always download the patches manually, never ever bothered with windows update.
        Sadly most users don't. This one of the reasons why we got a lot of preventable virus's on our network. This is the main reason why I wanted this too work. Doesn't look like it will do.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

KeiFront, what is the way to manually download hotfixes from ms? I'll propably have to install winXP on up to three machines of my buddies soon, and bringing hotfixes with me on cd is the only way to keep them updated more or less (dial ups, and I have a feeling that if I would try to use wu, they'll think that I'm mad since I want to leave computer online for whole day just to update their system )

Comment

i went to the page the other day, and found 25 critical updates i must remember to do it more often

Comment

Nowhere, I use the Microsofts technet website every month via my technet bookmark (only windows 2000 related issues). Every month I review the hotfix & security bulletins that are released via the technet website.

You can easely click on the bulletins and read what bugs/issues they fix. And If I decide that the fix is worthwhile installing I download it (every bulletin contains a link to the download location) and install it.

This method has some advantages, I know what the patch does before I install it (because I read the bulletin). I always got a copy of the hotfix so I can apply it to other PC's and make a backup of it on CD. And I only install patches that I find worthwhile, e.g I don't install mediaplayer patches because I don't use media player, etc.

There are maybe better ways but this way always worked for me.
              Last edited by KeiFront; 21 August 2003, 14:27.
              Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
              Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
              Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Did you look in "services" tab and make sure that both "Automatic updates" and "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" are enabled ?
                Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

My work machine one the background service is set at manually but is listed as started. Can't comment about the other machines but if the default is automatic they'll be automatic.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Pit the following is quoted from the help file:

"To schedule automatic updates

Open SYSTEM in Control Panel.
                    On the Automatic Updates tab, click Automatically download the updates and install them on the schedule that I specify.
                    Set the days and time when you want Windows to install updates.
                    After you set this option, Windows finds updates on the Windows Update Web site that apply to your computer and downloads them automatically in the background (you are not notified or interrupted during this process). When downloading is complete, a message appears in the status area so you can review the updates that are scheduled for installation. If you choose not to install at that time, Windows starts the installation on your set schedule. "

I know you probable have read this several times. After rereading it the last sentence caugh my attention. Is it the first notification that you are refering to in your initial post? Have you declined install now and waited to see if it did it on its own at the scheduled time?

---no stone unturned.....

Comment

Pit,

One last thought. In "Services" how is "Automatic Updates" being run?

If its properties are set to "Log on as system account" The updates wont be installed unless a member of the administrators group explicitly clicks "Install" . I think to run completely unattended you need to choose "This account" and enter a username and password of someone in the administrators group.

Cheers!

Comment

Homebrewer it's set as you described. Yes I'm logged on as admin.
                        I didn't do anything as I want the downloads too install without any user input. They downloaded on schedule and then just sat there. If the user still got to review the download I'm back at square one as users won't do anything.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Pit,

My only other thought is that network Group Policy settings may be overriding your selection or registry settings may be efficting you.. Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 328010

How to Configure Automatic Updates by Using Group Policy or Registry Settings

Hope this helps.

Regards

Comment

Shouldn't be anything in the group polices as the machines are standard. I'll wait until the next critical patch comes along and sees if windoze does what it's told.
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                            X