A near-miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A near-miss

As my primary computer was killed by lightning, I've been confined to my old system, the 2.0GHz P4. I've been using an old GF3 in it the last couple of days because I hadn't moved over the Parhelia yet.
    Yesterday evening I decided to install the Parhelia to see if it had been affected by the lightning, and booted the machine up.

I got quite the shock when starting the computer.
    The monitor had dark horizontal lines rolling all over, it looked like if you would look through the LCD seeker on a DV camera but lots more. The second and third monitor wouldn't even start.
    The wavy lines' frequency changed depending on refresh rate, video mode and on how fast the fans were spinning.

I thought my Parhelia was dead for sure, but tried it in single monitor mode in another computer which had been disconnected when the lightning struck, and it was fine.

I think that my old AGP port is about to go tits up, or is it the card?
    If my TV was connected to the outdoor antenna, and my Parhelia connected to the TV with a composite wire, are there any chance that the card might be burned if the TV died?
    <font size="-4">User error:
    Replace user and try again.
    System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
    System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
    </font>

Very likely the Parhelia would have been affected considering the common paths from the antenna, but if it works at all it is more likely that the Parhelia is ok but what you are plugging it into isn't.
    How can you possibly take anything seriously?
    Who cares?

Comment

Working...
    X