Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CSRSS.EXE - What is it and why is it taking up all the CPU time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSRSS.EXE - What is it and why is it taking up all the CPU time?

Headline says it... what is this process and what does it do?

Should it be taking up 69% of the CPU time?

EDIT: This is an NT machine with service pack 6.
    Last edited by Chris B; 20 August 2003, 04:27.
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...lbug.worm.html

I'm possibly being paranoid here, but check your %windir% (c:\winnt I believe for the file. The file should not be there though it will be in your system 32 directory.

Comment

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Ah someone else not updating their virus checkers.
        Wouldn't be surprised if you got another virus hiding on there as well.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I've had NAV set up for automatic LiveUpdate and it's been downloading new definitions at least twice a day since this latest outbreak started.

As such if anyone out there has LiveUpdate turned off you might want to turn it back ON 'til things calm down.....if ever.

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 August 2003, 05:36.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

It's not necessarily a virus. To answer your first question:

Csrss.exe - You cannot end this process from Task Manager.

This is the user-mode portion of the Win32 subsystem (with Win32.sys being the kernel-mode portion). Csrss stands for client/server run-time subsystem and is an essential subsystem that must be running at all times. Csrss is responsible for console windows, creating and/or deleting threads, and some parts of the 16-bit virtual MS-DOS environment.
            There are a couple of reasons for csrss.exe slowing down the system, you could check the Microsoft knowledge base if any of this applies to you: http://support.microsoft.com/search/...&srchExtraQry=

Rakido
            "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
              I've had NAV set up for automatic LiveUpdate and it's been downloading new definitions at least twice a day since this latest outbreak started.

As such if anyone out there has LiveUpdate turned off you might want to turn it back ON 'til things calm down.....if ever.

Dr. Mordrid
              Sadly most users just think installing the software is enougth. They don't even know how to configure autoupdates.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                Sadly most users just think installing the software is enougth. They don't even know how to configure autoupdates.
                I remember that Nav 2000 required you to check some checkboxes to actualy GET the updates and one of my brighter customer didnt do this because then it took so loong time

Me: Your computer is FULL of viruses.
                Customer: But I've got nav!!
                M: But you havent upodated it in 10 months.
                C: But I run the quick one every day!!
                M:quick one?!?!
                C: Yeah, I don't tick the boxes and then it don't take 20 min as it did the first times!! (looking really proud of himself)
                M: URGH!!!

I then tried in wain for quarter of an hour to make some sence go through his thick skull
                In the end it was fortunatley time to upgrade Nav anyway and the new version did not containe the "quick download" to his utter sorrow
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I just wish Msblast deleted hard drives after 20 succesfully infections or X days on a pc. The delete would have to be a ministry defence wipe so data couldn't be retrieved. Users would then remember about backups and updates. It was also force the University too think of a response to virus outbreaks.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                  X