Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new soundcard slows XP bootup to almost 4 minutes - any fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new soundcard slows XP bootup to almost 4 minutes - any fix?

I recently installed a chaintech AV515M soundcard...on windows XP sp1...no problems before...but now it takes Windows XP SP1 over 3-4 minutes to load (and there is a black screen the whole time)...before it would take 30 secs...i have the latest drivers and have switched pci slots...

what is wrong? there are no conflicts in the system driver..and the sound card does work...but it slows the boot up screen by 3-4minutes...when i remove the card the system win xp boots normally...

ideas?

Thanks

Hi:

Your chances of getting help here would be much better if you stated 1) the exact make and model of your previous sound card and 2) what steps you followed to uninstall that old card and install the new one.
    You may have remnants of the previous card’s drivers/software still on your system that is causing your problem.
    In WinXP HE SP1, I had to uninstall a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and install a TeraTec sound card to replace it. I followed the directions on how to do it from both mfrs and all went OK.
    What I would try to do is 1) uninstall the new card using the mfr’s instructions, 2) reinstall the old card (w/mfr’s instructions) 3) remove the old one again (following …) and install the new one again (following …). This usually involves the drill of uninstalling drivers from ADD/REMOVE Programs in Control Panel, removing the device in Device Manager, shutting down the system, swapping cards, starting the system and following the prompts that Windows gives you when it discovers the new sound card. Or some variant of the above …
    Sorry if you know all that already, you post gives no clue as to how familiar you are with this kind of trouble-shooting.
    If your old card was from Creative Labs then you may be facing more drastic measures. When I built my system last fall, I had to weigh whether all of the extra (both wanted and unwanted) features of a Creative card were worth having to format C: and reinstall the O/S etc if I wanted to change my sound card for another mfr.
    IMO, a system should always use Creative or never use Creative. From the years of complaining of others I’ve come to the conclusion that a Creative card cannot be completely/safely be removed and replaced with that of another mfr.
    Others may differ and I’m sure they will

Hope something in the above helps you.

Happy trails,
    WinXP HE SP1& DX9b; Lian-Li PC-6089 mid alum case; Enermax 550W PSU; P4 2.8b retail; Asus P4T533-C s478/i850e; 1GB PC1066 RIMMs; Promise Ultra133 IDE PCI controller; 2x80GB Maxtor D740x 7200RPM ATA-133 HDDs; OrangeLink FireWire 800/1394b PCI card:
    1x250GB Maxtor One Touch USB2/fw external Ultra ATA-133 7200RPM HDD; Toshiba 16x/48x DVD-ROM; Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD?R/RW CD-R/RW burner; Radeon 9800 XT retail; DVI: Samsung SyncMaster 213L 21.3" TFT; VGA: ViewSonic 22? P225f; TV OUT S-Video: Sony 36? WEGA XBR400 NTSC; TerraTec DMX 6fire LT sound card to Denon 3802 7x110W based HT; on-board LAN to Alcatel ADSL modem; Canon S750 USB printer; Canon D125O USB2 scanner; Logitech diNovo Media Desktop (Bluetooth cordless keyboard/MX900 optical mouse); Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless USB Joystick; Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D USB joystick; Logitech 2.4GHz Cordless Gamepad/Rumblepad.

Comment

Working...
    X