Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wife needs a Laptop, but what to get?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife needs a Laptop, but what to get?!?!

Wife just told me she needs a laptop for word processing, so I don’t need something with all the stuff on it, just a floppy and cd, doesn’t need to be a speed demon and cheep, under say $500.00

So what do you all think I should get her?

Been looking on Ebay, but there is a lot of them, I need to bring down the number of choices.

Thanks Oboy
    Last edited by Oboy; 19 August 2003, 19:38.
    Time to make the wafers!
    Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

IBM if you can get it for the price. They're built quite well, so "used" usually doesn't mean they're as worn as other branks would be. You can probably find refurbed/rebuilt corporate laptops.

Otherwise, Dell.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

you should be able to find a refurbished dell on their website.
      you'll get a warranty as well!

Comment

Yep. And usually some killer deals on Dell refurbs, especially if you can wait a week or two for a sale to come up.

Gpar_
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
          IBM if you can get it for the price. They're built quite well, so "used" usually doesn't mean they're as worn as other branks would be. You can probably find refurbed/rebuilt corporate laptops.
          I second that - especially because you can get any spare part for a reasonable price if something fails.

mfg
          wulfman
          "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
          "Lobsters?"
          "Really? I didn't know they did that."
          "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Dell!!!!!
            My Packurd bell 166Megahurtz runnin at 233 on a ABIT ITH5 muther board,
            128MB EDO ECC RAM and a hole bunch of other cool stuff.

Comment

In addition to Dell, Toshiba laptops are quite reliable.

Comment

I have to say IBM as well. I have had several Thinkpads, and you can't kill them.
                "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

I also say Dell as I did tech support on them for 32 months. Pretty solid machines, unless you abuse them.
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I use a Think Pad T-20 at work but really like my wife's Dell laptop a lot better.
                    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

!Compaq.

Comment

We have an IBM and a Toshiba at work. I really like the IBM's keyboard and its built quality. That being said, we haven't had issues with our Toshiba yet...

Jörg

PS: The Acer 1700 series is weird: 7 kg for a laptop ! But you get a 17" TFT at quite a reasonable price...
                        pixar
                        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

GRRRR@Kooldino
                          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Originally posted by DentyCracker
                            GRRRR@Kooldino
                            What, you like compaqs?

Comment

This is what I ended up with. Turned out to be the best bang for the buck!

Thanks for all your input!

Oboy
                              Time to make the wafers!
                              Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
                              jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

Working...
                              X