G550 or what for TFT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G550 or what for TFT

I'm interested in feedback. Currently using a G550 DVi with an NEC MultiSync
    monitor - would I gain anything by moving to a Parhelia or maybe a P650/750
    series. I'm not into playing games or multiple monitors. Just looking for
    the best 2D. Maybe even changing from Matrox.

Any input appreciated

Running WinXP, Athlon Barton 2800, 1gb ram, 120gb HD

I think Tyan is making a Radeon 9600 with DualDVI. My Asus GFFX 5200 VS has DualDVI. Asus GFFX5600 VS also has DualDVI. Gainward is another option.

Otherwise, if your going for Matrox, consider getting P650... especially because you don't need multiple monitor. I won't go with G550 because its kinda outdated and is still expensive (unless you can find it cheap online...)

btw, most cards on the market have multiple monitor anyways. :|

BTW2: about DVI interface... don't think you will see any difference between a digital interface like the DVI. Its not like its analog where you need a very sharp DAC to convert signals from digital to analog. However, some people claim that they do see a difference across different DVI graphics card.

What is the purpose of your computer anyways? Maybe we can work from there.

Cheers,

Ron

Comment

Thanks Ron - I use it mainly for DTP work, normal stuff Pagemaker, CorelDraw, etc so high resolution 2D graphics in a must.
      I've played with the noisy fan ATI in the past but kept coming back to Matrox.
      But as the G550 is now effectively obsolete was wondering if there was something better - preferably in the Matrox lineup

Comment

Nope, not really. If you're only doing 2D, then just about anything out there will be fast enough for you. And assuming that things are rendered the same, you can't distinguish the output quality of one DVI card from another.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well, have you ever considered running multi-monitor mart4494? Since you are doing 2d graphics, multimonitor should be very helpful... more workspace.

What resolution are you running? Most DVI panels max out at 1280x1024. I noted that you need good quality at "high resolution". Just about ever card can handle that resolution at super sharp quality (even my nV card is ok at it). If your panel can go up to 1600x1200, then forget the G550. G550 cannot handel DVI at that resolution. Parhelia, P-series, Asus GFFX VS series, and Tyan Radeon 9600 dualDVI can handle that resolution though.

So you can't stand ATI's fan noice? I have a Radeon 8500 and I can't really hear it! If you can't bear 8500 then P-650 is the right choice for you then... its passively cooled.

Only problem is Matrox cards are always expensive... IIRC P650 cost almost as much as a 9600. I personally don't see any reason to get a Matrox card just to run 1280x1024. Besides, as Wombat said, you cannot tell the difference of DVI between different cards. They should be the same, with virtually crystal clear output! (I don't know why some people on MURC say they can see a difference between Matrox DVI and... maybe ATI's DVI)

If you are using DVI just for 2D stuff, almost any card with DVI can work well. (I found my Asus has a pretty high quality build) If you want a multimedia system that can do anything, get a Radeon 9600... so you can also do some light 3D Studio MAX / Maya stuff... if your work ever involve any DCC stuff that is... if you have a 2048x1536@85Hz analog monitor, then without thinking get a P650/750/Parhelia... their analog output quality is just unmatched.

Comment

Thanks for your advice - I think I'll stay with the reliable G550

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
              And assuming that things are rendered the same, you can't distinguish the output quality of one DVI card from another.
              Making Digital Flat Panels Better
              "Silicon Image, a maker of digital interface chips, purchased seven GeForceFX 5200 cards, and found that all of them were out of compliance – and a couple were really messed up. Simply having a DVI interface doesn't mean it will work well – or at all. Read on to see why this is still a big problem."

Comment

Originally posted by atko
                Making Digital Flat Panels Better
                "Silicon Image, a maker of digital interface chips, purchased seven GeForceFX 5200 cards, and found that all of them were out of compliance – and a couple were really messed up. Simply having a DVI interface doesn't mean it will work well – or at all. Read on to see why this is still a big problem."
                Okay, I just read that article. It's nothing more than a press release from this Silicon Image company, trying to promote their product. The nice thing about digital transmission is that noise generally isn't a problem. "Out of compliance," and yet I bet all of these cards work just fine.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I know.. its not compliance with the SGI Holographic panel

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                    Okay, I just read that article. It's nothing more than a press release from this Silicon Image company, trying to promote their product. The nice thing about digital transmission is that noise generally isn't a problem. "Out of compliance," and yet I bet all of these cards work just fine.
                    ExtremeTech is the Web's top destination for news and analysis of emerging science and technology trends, and important software, hardware, and gadgets.

"DVI signal quality will become an increasingly critical issue as digital flat panels become more commonplace. "

Comment

or read this for some good info...

OFFICIAL EX- EMPLOYEE

<font size="1">"So now I'm dreaming<br>For myself I'm understanding <br>Performing there, one hundred thousand fans would gather one and all <br>And so decided, we could rule it all if we should <br>Dance all away across the greatest city in the nether world..."<p>- Central Park 09/24/03</font>

Comment

Working...
                      X