Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend Webcam that can record video in a security camera style.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend Webcam that can record video in a security camera style.

Can anyone recommend webcam that can record video in a security camera style that is easilly concealable. This does not have to be extra high-end but just enough to do the job as a deterrent for areas that our security cameras do not normally see from the best angles. We have people messing with ceratin machines that they should not be.

For example, I've stepped away from my office for one minute and could tell that people were in there when they had no business being in there. This is from the simply annoying of having lights turned off to the troubling of pulling a wire out thinking it was funny to mess with me. One time they pulled a wire from the server.

We are ahving adjustments to our security system done but they ill be a little ways off. It seems like a good idea so we can use it if we have trouble in different areas for minor or serious problems.

I use to have (around 2001) a cheap little Logitech webcam that came with a software bundle that allowed you to set the camera up to act as a motion detector and take video while it saw "motion" in its field of view. I found it to be VERY useful. You can turn it on and off very easily (with the click of a button).

The only thing is that anything more than like 25 feet away was REALLY hard to make out because its top resolution was 320x240.

I hope this helps!
    Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
    MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
    Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
    Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Any webcam can do that - just a matter of software (I'd guess that motion detection and taking pictures or recording (when movement detected) is what you want). The one that comes with logitech webcams (doesn't matter which one - I have the simplest and cheapest...) has this feature for example, but since it's generally bloatware I can use little free software as well that works with any webcam, VisionGS for example (or just search tucows or google motion detection software free)
      Last edited by Nowhere; 19 August 2003, 11:30.

Comment

I got my webcam awhile back for $100. Quickcam pro 4000 or so. Has the security program built in, as mentioned above.

Comment

I think all Logitech web cams allow the security. For the price maybe you can go for the Logitech QuickCam Express, which is like only 30 dollars CDN! great price IMO.

But i will double check if this camera supports that feature coz I am not 100% sure.

I have the QuickCam Pro 3000. I love it! It is very stylish!

edit: oh yea... My Asus GFFX 5200 has VIVO and comes with a software called "VideoSecutiry" which basically does the same thing... but you need your own video camera of course :P (haven't tried that yet, but i think it will work with my DV)

Comment

If you want something a little more mobile, there are security cameras out there that hook up to your network. A camera, some software, and an ethernet jack. It then stores the video/pics on a server somewhere. Then you could just move the camera about.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Chrono, it supports this, I assure you (after all I have the simplest and cheapest ). The same software, and apparently Logitech doesn't block (or doesn't block many) features for low end webcams (do you have anything more than...crap, just realised that because of hdd died I don't have it - oh well, from my memory...tab with taking photos or movies, with motion detection, with fun stuff like doing animations (frame per minute or frame on demand), library with mail sending and some logitech streaming service or something?)

And more on topic, what WOmbat suggests can also be done witch cheap webcams (as long as there is a pc in usb cable range). VisionGS can send pictures to ftp.

Comment

Working...
              X