Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual monitors in win2k - as good as win98 yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual monitors in win2k - as good as win98 yet?

Hi people, quick question for ya. With the latest drivers, is the dual monitor support for Win2k as good as win98 yet? (I haven't tried as my system is currently working, a very sensitive equilibrium ).

If not, any _real_ word on if Matrox is going to improve on this? Or are they going to drop it as they seem to have done with the RR-G..

Coolfish

has anyone setup dualhead in win2k? I was wondering what is the max res you can put on both monitors? I wanted to setup 1280 x 1024 on both monitors, but i heard that the max you can put is 1024 x 768 on each monitor in win2k.

Comment

Well, just from screwing around (not actually enabling anything) it has a "Max Resolution" for secondary monitor. Mine said 1280x1024 (which happened to by my resolution for my monitor).

I also noticed that the drivers that are recommended for use with the TV tools only have two options for the position of the secondary monitor. to the right, or to the below...

Comment

If you're aiming to run two different resolutions on each monitor, then the answer is NO. It's not a driver issue. It's a limitation of Win2K. Speculation on different message boards seem to indicate that this isn't something Microsoft is gonna fix.

However, if the question was whether Win2K will run dual monitors at all, then the answer is YES. I've been chugging this way for almost a year and it's the greatest thing since saline impl...er, nevermind.

My desktop res is currently set at 2304x868...about the max I'm comfortable with on 17" screens. Menu text on apps like MusicMatch Jukebox are already a bit difficult to read. Going any higher (if available) wouldn't be pleasant.

The type of plug'n'play monitor detected by Windows might determine the max resolution in some cases, although I haven't had time to verify it. On a different machine I recall that it would only go up to 1024x768 on an older 17" monitor, but that changed days later when a newer p'n'p monitor was plugged in.

Under Win2K, there IS one definite limitation. The 2nd monitor will not support Video Overlay. If an application uses Overlay to "paint" a live video feed on the screen, that video won't show up if the app is dragged into monitor #2. I have not found this to be a problem in any way though. The stability of Win2K far more than makes up for it.

------------------
        Carter
        ------
        [EditRig] Tyan Tiger100 rev.F, Dual P3 650MHz, 256mb PC100, [C:] 10.2g Seagate, [D:] 10.1g IBM, FastTrack66 RAID, [E:] Dual 30.7g Maxtors, [F:] Plextor 12x10x32x CDRW, Dual 17" Monitors, Matrox G400 32mb AGP, SBLive, Canopus DV Raptor, FourPoint2000, FastEthernet, USB IntelliEye, Windows2000, MSP 6.0, Canon XL-1/GL-1/L2
        Carter
        ------
        [EditRig] Tyan Tiger100 rev.F, Dual P3 650MHz, 256mb PC100, [C:] 10.2g Seagate, [D:] 10.1g IBM, FastTrack66 RAID, [E:] Dual 30.7g Maxtors, [F:] Plextor 12x10x32x CDRW, Dual 17" Monitors, Matrox G400 32mb AGP, SBLive, Canopus DV Raptor, FourPoint2000, FastEthernet, USB IntelliEye, Windows2000, MSP 6.0, Canon XL-1/GL-1/L2

Comment

Working...
        X