Turbine cooled heatsink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbine cooled heatsink

Haven't seen it here before, so I thought I'd post it. Cooler Master has made a hsf using what looks like a Thermalright style of copper heatsink and a turbine fan:

Looks pretty snazzy. A turbine fan would certainly eliminate the 'blind spot' that normal fans create. It's gotten great reviews too.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Blowers can certainly move alot of air. Good idea. I used to use a blower to cool my hot IBM SCSI HD from 6 inches away.

Comment

It's just a radial fan, like there's been for years on the Silverado.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

But it looks quite "cool"
        ASUS P5B-E ;2GB G.Skill DDR2 Ram; C2D6420;lub 3D X1950pro ;SoundBlaster X-Fi;WinXP

Comment

Yes, and tey don't have a blind spot. Also, I think they move the air faster (compared to an ordinary fan that moves the same amount).

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

They have higher pressure than standard fans. I have 2 of them running on my AXP's...
            The temps are about the same as with my previous HSF combination, but at half thr rpm.
            the max is 3500rpm, which isn't that loud, and the temps are 45C load with the 2500+ at 2125MHz...
            i find they are well worth it...
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I'm on my second. Unfortunately the motor sort of collapsed on the first and the fan rubbed on the housing slowing it down massively. Scan replaced it f.o.c. (although the 1st level tech couldn't find the fault).

It's brilliantly quiet, and I have the speed control in a 3.5" bay for when I occasionally want to crank it up to 'audible' levels.

I just hope my faulty one was a one off!

T.

PS the HS part uses the skived fin copper block construction which is pretty good even with a more conventional fan.
              FT.

Comment

Dispite the fact it moves air evenly and can handle higher pressure loads, it still only moves 10.9 to 20 cfm... it better be dead silent. I wouldn't read much into it's performance overall.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah they have higher air pressure and can move more air generally, but axial fans are quite notorious for short lifespan.

Comment

It'd be nice if they'd ever get the 60 and 80mm TMD fans out too.

Comment

Originally posted by rylan
                      Yeah they have higher air pressure and can move more air generally, but axial fans are quite notorious for short lifespan.
                      Really? I used to use lots of them 24/7 to provide large flows from which to sample small amounts of air for air quality measurements. Most of them got to ~8 years old before having problems (although on one spectacular occasion I arrived on-site just as it was catching fire! It was pure fluke that I was there - normally it wouldn't have been visited for another week).

@Greebe -this is the quietest I've had by far. It made me realise that the fan on mu old 8500 was getting noisy! Currently running at 2400rpm, 45/32 with a room temp of 24C. They'll go down a little when I put the side panel back on later.

T.
                      FT.

Comment

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Looks cool. Can you just buy the fan? It'd be nice to see a 5K rpm version of that. I don't think i'd consider it a turbine though.

Comment

Yes, you can buy the fan on its own. Check www.scan.co.uk in the coolers section (or http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=65354). Probably a worthwhile upgrade if you already have a decent hunk of copper for it to sit on.

T.
                            FT.

Comment

Isn't this the style of fan used in the higher end GFFX(s)?

Comment

Working...
                              X