X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics Chip Market Share

From Ars forums

"Nvidia loses Xbox contest"

As reported in the August 15, 2003 edition of the San Jose Mercury News, page E-1 (in pie-chart format):

Graphics Chip Market Share:

FIRST QUARTER 2002

Nvidia - 44%
    ATI - 24%
    Intel - 14%
    SiS - 7%
    VIA - 6%
    Others - 5%

FIRST QUARTER 2003

Nvidia - 32%
    Intel - 28%
    ATI - 20%
    VIA - 10%
    SiS - 9%
    Others - 1%

Source: Jon Peddie Research

Considering that Trident folded Others mean Matrox and 3dlabs.

There are about 140 million PCs shipped per year, so make your conclusions based on that.

The ratio between home and business is 75% vs 25%. The enthusiast market should be in the former 25%.

One billion PCs shipped

Advertisers
    July 2, 2002

The number of PCs being shipped worldwide is expected to reach 2 billion by 2007. To date, 1 billion personal computers have been shipped worldwide. Approximately 75% of those shipped have gone to use in professional capacities. The United States is responsible for shipping 38.8% of all personal computers, while Europe has shipped 25% of the total. The Asia-Pacific region has been responsible for 12% of all computers shipped.
    Shipments of desktops, notebooks and servers based around PC architectures will rise 8.3 percent in 2003 to 147.5 million units, then rise 11 percent to 163.8 million units in 2004, according to IDC.

PC shipments will increase in 2002, but only marginally. Shipments will likely reach 136.2 million units for 2002, a 1.6 percent increase over 2001, IDC said. Last year marked one of the worst years in the history of the PC industry, with shipments shrinking 4.2 percent worldwide and 11.4 percent in the United States.

The total number of PCs shipped in 2002 likely will be below the high watermark of 139.9 million units in 2000, a milestone that 2003 will surpass if projections are met.

Although it's pretty much expected, this is not good at all for M. They need to start focusing on some big OEM deals.

Comment

Wow Intel doubled their marketshare and are way ahead of ATI. M should sell some technologies to Intel. Now is not the time for "money to the best piece of hardware" but rather "technology for the masses!"
      Let those who want to be simple, be simple.

Comment

IMO the reason for Intel going up and Ati going down is that OEMs finally stopped shipping crappy Ati Rage / Expert cards and started shipping 845 and 865 chipsets with Intel Extreme graphics.

Comment

LOL this is so sad...

Matrox gotta pull themselves together! I mean... come ON... they are much better than what VIA / SiS / Intel can do...

Yup, its all about OEM!

Comment

Well they used to sell alot of Millennium I/II with HP's Kayak and IBM NetVistas.. now that is oldtime. I think Matrox should think to have a better sales team. Other manage to sell crap products to alot more masses than they do. Now I'd like to see some motherboards with Matrox integrated Parhelia
            Let those who want to be simple, be simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Ssin
              Now I'd like to see some motherboards with Matrox integrated Parhelia
              Yeah, I'm sure a mainboard for $500 would be one hell of a seller....
              But we named the *dog* Indiana...
              My System
              2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
              German ATI-forum

Comment

I suspect Matrox could do a lot worse than increasing Macintosh support in addition to the RT Mac.

Comment

I don't think nVidia "lost the X-Box contest." I think MS f*cks their partners, and nVidia knows it. Talks probably broke down. I bet ATI takes quite a loss on the X-Box2.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I'd be happy with a dual-dvi supported motherboard with a P650 intergrated @USD300 (i dont use com ports) :P
                    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Working...
                    X