Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alparysoft Lossless Video Codec

It seems to be an interesting stuff.
    What do you think experts here about it?
    Is it a new replace of old,good HuffYUV?

This product is created for lossless video compression. The techniques used by this filter allow to compress videos with compression coefficient 1.1 - 1.9 higher than HuffYUV.

The beta version of Alparysoft Lossless video codec operates only within a Microsoft® DirectShow® environment. Today it represented as two separated DS filters - encoder, decoder and demo application which allow to compress, decompress and preview video files.

depends on how fast it is

But one thing I wonder is:

Where are the lossles audio compression???
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I tried to download the thing, but all I got was some small conversion tool. Couldn´t locate the codec anywhere on my system. Will try again.
      -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
      2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
      Matrox Parhelia 128
      Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
      Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
      Maxtor 300 GB for video
      Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
      Win XP Pro

At work:
      Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
      Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
        But one thing I wonder is:

Where are the lossles audio compression???
        Huh?

FLAC
        Monkey's Audio
        WavPack
        LossLess Audio
        OptimFROG
        Shorten
        LPAC

You want more?

Comment

tell me, which one of those formats is usable for realtime capturing?
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Last edited by Country; 18 August 2003, 17:40.
            You did what?

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
              tell me, which one of those formats is usable for realtime capturing?

Well, I keep hearing things about FLAC...sooner or later someone will finally decide to not abandon the thought about doing directshow filter out of it (actually, you can do it yourself if you really want to ) It's just a matter of time now when it's a part of vorbis - and in FLAC case, why hurry? cpu's don't allow for everything (in regards to speed) yet...

Because of this, I assumed that you're not talking seriously about use in video capturing. And besides, you still have wav, right? - not much of a difference in file size when we're talking about captures that inlude not only audio but also lossless video, but wav in comparision doesn't use cpu practically...

Aaand realtime capturing using lossless audio compression is doable even now - though only when talking about audio...
              But hey, it can be done.
              Last edited by Nowhere; 18 August 2003, 16:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                Well, I keep hearing things about FLAC...sooner or later someone will finally decide to not abandon the thought about doing directshow filter out of it (actually, you can do it yourself if you really want to ) It's just a matter of time now when it's a part of vorbis - and in FLAC case, why hurry? cpu's don't allow for everything (in regards to speed) yet...
                No one of the codecs was an ACM or directshow, and IF it was soo eazy that I could do it myself, then the author would have done it already
                As for speed:
                HuffYUV dont even saturate a 800mhz cpu when doing fulscreen caps, so I assure you there is cpu's fast enough today.

Because of this, I assumed that you're not talking seriously about use in video capturing. And besides, you still have wav, right? - not much of a difference in file size when we're talking about captures that inlude not only audio but also lossless video, but wav in comparision doesn't use cpu practically...
                Even if I wasnt talking about using them for realtime capture they are all useless to me anyway if they arent either ACM or Directshow codecs since then they wont be usable in any of my editing apps.

Aaand realtime capturing using lossless audio compression is doable even now - though only when talking about audio...
                But hey, it can be done.
                Great quote

Comment

No one of the codecs was an ACM or directshow, and IF it was soo eazy that I could do it myself, then the author would have done it already
                  As for speed:
                  HuffYUV dont even saturate a 800mhz cpu when doing fulscreen caps, so I assure you there is cpu's fast enough today.
                  Even if I wasnt talking about using them for realtime capture they are all useless to me anyway if they arent either ACM or Directshow codecs since then they wont be usable in any of my editing apps.
                  Perhaps the author doesn't see interest in it? Those are not things meant (by authors) to use in appliance "audio in video files". And from what I've seen others who wish at some point to do filters, lost interest sooner or later too. I think mainly because there's no public interest in it - the downloaded divx/xvid movie lovers won't use it (almost one cd extra just for audio?), and I honestly don't see why people who capture would want to use it much - as I've said, compare the size of your lossless video capture with wav now and what size would it have with half sized audio. Negligible difference IMHO...but not in required processing power (and lossless audio just needs lots of it...sure, FLAC isn't the worse case scenario and it could be done (premise of flac after all: not so much compression, not so much system demanding), but check how LossLess Audio would bring the multi ghz machines to its knees ). And would you like to wait more during editing audio for such small difference in size?

Great quote
                  Hey, yo didn't say "realtime video capturing"

Comment

Okay, so I should have been more prcise in my first post, (note to myself; always write 1 to ten pages, someone might not get it) but never the less HDD space isnt free and anything that helps is welcome,

Usualy when capturing, you capture at highest quality posibly then you edit and lastly you compress with the lossy format of your choice, the diff might not be big but in those situations when you can end up needing twice or four times the space as the captured video, the difrens saved migth actualy be the last 10-5 minuts you need

Comment

Not sure (somebody would have to test it...anybody?) but I think the thing about which I mentioned in this thread can be done.

Comment

I like the idea of capturing lossless and converting to a lossy format that is compatible with the target device/usage. CODECs continue to improve and you can always go back to your original lossless captures and reencode as you see fit.
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I did a few tests some time ago with this codec and it dropped frames massively, making it useless for capturing. It seems to be too slow for this purpose, but it's very useful for editing/compositing, as it retains a very high quality picture.
                          Last edited by landrover; 12 May 2005, 11:00. Reason: typing fault
                          -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
                          2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
                          Matrox Parhelia 128
                          Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
                          Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
                          Maxtor 300 GB for video
                          Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
                          Win XP Pro

At work:
                          Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.