Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any incompatibility problems with G400 & Athlon boards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any incompatibility problems with G400 & Athlon boards?

I was going to switch to Abit KT7, is there any incompatibilty probs with this board?

I have an ABit KT7 together with a Duron800 and a G400DH/16MB. Runs stable at 1050MHz without special cooling, just upped the voltage to 1.85V.
    Absolutely no issues with the G400 or any other card I have installed (AVM Fritz! card PCI, Hauppauge WinTV, Initio UW-SCSI, SBLive!) up to now.

[This message has been edited by Indiana (edited 06 November 2000).]
    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
    My System
    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
    German ATI-forum

Comment

Doc, do you have any input on this ?

I'm still in need of a 700+mhz solution, and can't find a reliable replacement for the Intel solution you suggested (Can't recall if it was Abit or Asus, but it's out of production anyway). Seems like CuBX and CuSl aren't there yet, but how about AMD alternatives ?

Chris

Comment

I believe the Abit KT7 is based on the AMD chipset. I'm not fond of Abit products, especially ones with the highpoint IDE controller, but the KT7 seems to be a good board.

I'd avoid via chipsets if Windows 2000 is on your event horizon.

--wally.

Comment

I have an ASUS A7V motherboard which I have run both the G400 and G450 under WindowsME and I have had no problems. See my sig for more info.

Joel

------------------
          System Specs

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 07 November 2000).]
          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work.

FWIW there is a post by BLAKE7 on the Matrox newsgroup;

alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox

to the affect that he's using a KT7-RAID, T-Bird 750 and G400 with no problems. How this would apply to the Marvel's I don't know, but then again why should there be a problem on such a fast system?

What I find interesting about the KT7 is its use of 3 phase power. This has a lot of potential for alleviating power related AGP issues IF it's implemented properly.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Chris,
              if you're looking for the Asus P3B-F slot 1 Intel BX board (Docs favorite board)then the only place in the UK that I managed to find one was here... http://www.kamcomputers.co.uk/computers.htm
              I tried alot of other places but everyone else was out of stock due to this board being discontinued. These guys advertised brand new boards on Yahoo auctions and they are the 6 PCI/1 ISA slot versions(I paid 85GBP / 8GBP shipping + VAT, so don't let them quote you any more).
              Coupled with a very reasonable FCPGA PIII 700 (currently running happily at 933) from http://www.cclcomputers.co.uk
              this system absolutely smokes!

Hope this is of some help to you, although your wallet may not thank me so much!

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by wkulecz:
                I believe the Abit KT7 is based on the AMD chipset. I'm not fond of Abit products, especially ones with the highpoint IDE controller, but the KT7 seems to be a good board.
                No, it's based on the Via KT133 chipset. It still has much less problems than the Asus K7M I had before - this one was based on the AMD750 chipset and I had the occassional "bump-back-to-the desktop" problem with it when using AGP2x...
                SiSofts RAM-benchmarks just fly with the KT7, how about ~520MB/sec ALU and ~630MB/sec FPU mem-bandwidth?

And for the Highpoint RAID: Hey, you don't HAVE to use it, do you?

I'd avoid via chipsets if Windows 2000 is on your event horizon.
                Hmm, no probs using Win2k up to now. Maybe you're talking of earlier VIA chipsets?

BTW, all newer mainboards for AMD CPUs use the VIA chipset as there is no AMD PC133 chipset, at least none that's really available yet.
                My System
                German ATI-forum

Comment

Indiana,

I'd like to know the exact number(s) of the Via chipset you're having good success with on w2k.

I was trying to help a friend put w2k on a via chipset motherboard (he was trying to go cheap against my recommendation) and we had no luck at all. W2k installed fine but locked up when the "Starting Windows" dialog thermometer got about 2/3 thru. A "four in one" via driver from Windows update was no help at all.

There is a good chance this was one of the "older" Via chipsets, but I'd like to know the numbers on chipsets that I could expect to work.

I could have sworn that the Abit KT7 MB I was looking and and suggesting he try had an AMD 750 on it, Perhaps I've confused it with another Abit model number?

--wally.

Comment

The Abit KT7 (and the KT7-RAID, as well as the Asus A7V) use the VIA KT133 chipset, which consists of the VT8363 North Bridge and the VT82C686A South Bridge. For more information about the KT133 see http://www.viatech.com/products/prodkt133.htm
                    Agood resource for the ABit KT7 is: http://www.apushardware.com/faqs/kt7faq/kt7faq.htm

My earlier MoBo, the Asus K7M, had the AMD751 northbridge, again combined with a VIA southbridge (but an older revision, I think) - no specific Win2k-probs with this combination, either.

P.S.:I'm posting all this under Win2K with the AbitKT7 and a Duron800@1050. Now that I've got used to 2k I start Win98SE just for gaming and for DVD.

[This message has been edited by Indiana (edited 07 November 2000).]
                    My System
                    German ATI-forum

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback, I've initially put in a request at KAM to see if they still have the Asus P3BB-F in stock.

Reassuring to know that the AMD may do the job if I can't find an alternative.

I'll be letting you know.....

Comment

I'm using a KT7-Raid with a Marvel G400. I had some occasional problems with mjpeg caps that may be windows related. I never reinstalled, just went to a raid setup and started doing HUFFYUV caps which work great.

Comment

Working...
                        X