Stinking Mechanic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stinking Mechanic!

I just got a call from the mechanic, after I brought in my car for service. The ABS light had gone on a few days ago, along with the "general brake failure, pull over immediately" light. I checked the brake fluid levels, and changed the pads, no change in anything... Anyways.. buddy tells me that the ABS computer is faulty, and is out of warrenty.. a new one is $1082cdn!!!.. this is mmaybe $20 worth of parts, along with a microcontroller.. I asked him to leave it, and show me where it is, I will then take a look for burned components myself...

oh yeah.. the car is a little over two years old
    2001 Chevrolet Impala, 82447KM.. warrenty expired at 60000KM
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Did you go to the dealer, or to a private mechanic? The dealer always hoses you on stuff like that. You may want to drop in to a wreckers, since you can usually get parts much cheaper that way.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

This was the dealer ( Highland Chev Olds in Aurora) where I bought the car.... untill now they had been quite reasonable, but now I will have to look elsewhere.. I will go looking at the wreckers sometime.. since my brakes still work, I am in no rush

Comment

I've had dealers quote me on things that I ended up getting 75% cheaper at a regular mechanic. The premiums they charge are astounding. I'd be surprised if you end up spending more than $500 total, including labour.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

First I will try fixing it myself, if that fails I will bring it to a private mechanic

Comment

A _new_ ABS computer is a hell of an expensive thing. For my Volvo a NEW ABS computer would have been $1200... just the part!

Got one off a junker for $200.

Gpar_
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

My previous VW Polo needed a new computer (not ABS, but engine control) as well, luckily it was covered by warranty, as it would have set me back about €1200 !
              Things went terribly wrong with that car, I sold when the RPM-sensor in the engine gave wrong signals (very intersting to see what happens when while driving the computer suddenly thinks the engine is no longer running, while in fact it is ) That simple sensor was €200, mainly in labour, as the sensor is very hard to reach (my car was the first ever in that garage to have issues with it). It was just under 3 years but I got tired of all the issues.

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

A buddy of mine has an older Colt. 92 or 94. Thge computer died on him. Similar story, garage wanted about 800.00. He called a bunch of scrap yards and they were selling to about 300.00. Last place he called wanted something like 50.00. Shows how many people would sell a dead bird to a blind kid...
                #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
                people do all day!"

Comment

Working...
                X