Automating the backup of Email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automating the backup of Email

Guys, I have this user(s) who need to do backup of their email regularly and automatically. Some details
    Operating System : WinXp
    Email Client : Outlook 2002
    and my manager wants his data to be written to a CD if possible.

what i have in mind is the microsoft personal folder backup utility for outlook. The backup tool can be set to prompt you once in a while (min. 1 day). However you have to copy the .pst created by the tool to your backup medium yourself (floppy,zip,cd). link to the tool below

1) Any of you guys know any ultility for doing what my manager wants
    2)or any free cd writing software that be set to copy/backup the .pst file before the pc is shutdown or when booting into windows..
    3) else can i need to write any script to do what i want.

Comments?

PS:- As of now i do not know what CDRW and software my manager is using.
    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Tell the email client to leave a copy on the server.....

Comment

I have seen a program that can do it although backing up your mail is a simple as backing up the PST. What I was looking for is a program that backed up all of your settings too... I hate having to recreate all the POP3 and IMAP accounts everytime i reinstall Outlook... hold on i'll dig the program out for you..
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Nah - i dont have it anymore... I did email it to Tony... I'll get him in here and see if he can remember what it was called....
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

thanks paddy..
          while leaving a copy on the server is a good option but the people here are getting paranoid after the Msblast worm attack.. we were down nearly for 3 hours (for my dept that is, me now working in a university now) as some labs with over 200 pcs were down the whole day.
          Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
          ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Sorry - I've searched my message logs and my email and can't find a reference. If it was more than 3 months ago it'll be archived and I can't get at that until tomorrow.

Googling reveals loads of utils for OE but not so many for Outlook.

Good luck.

T.
            FT.

Comment

Tony, If memory serves, you wanted to upload it to the campus shared drive, but didn't as it wasn't 100% legitimate.

arg... i'll try google.

Comment

Working...
              X