can't connect to PC - windows networking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't connect to PC - windows networking

Ok, so I did a start->run->\\ipaddress to run a PC with a windows share. i put in an incorrect pass, but clicked on "remember my pass". now when i do a \\ipaddress, it tells me I don't have permissions to view it, etc.

I'm guessing there's someway to make it "un-remember" my bad pass and "wipe the slate clean"?

bump!

Comment

Can you use the computer name instead of the IP, it might reprompt?

Comment

I can't remember, is all that stuff in the lmhosts file, or just the name/IP lookup?
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Go to a command prompt.
          net use \\computer password /user:Kooldino
          <font size="-4">User error:
          Replace user and try again.
          System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
          System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
          </font>

Comment

Do you have a user account on both machines with the exact same user name and password? XP can be quite cranky about this. Also are make sure both machines are part of the same workgroup.
            Last edited by HomeBrewer; 15 August 2003, 09:29.
            Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
              Can you use the computer name instead of the IP, it might reprompt?
              Nope, no dice. I have the PC name in my hosts file.

Comment

Originally posted by Zao
                Go to a command prompt.
                net use \\computer password /user:Kooldino
                Dear LORD THANK YOU! You get my "hero of the day" award! So could you explain to me why that worked and what exactly the problem was? Was I right to assume that it logged it somewhere?

Comment

If you check the 'Remember password' box, Windows stupidly tries to use the specified user and password, and gives you no chance to change it. It's 'user-friendly'.
                  Since Windows networking is designed around static corporate networks with domains and all that other lull-lull, they might've overlooked designing that dialogbox properly since most users in their world doesn't even use that box.

The reason the net use works is that it's as old as Win 3.1, and thus have had lots of time to evolve. Also, it handles all error nicely, like not having the correct user/password entered.
                  System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
                  System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
                  </font>

Comment

GAH, here we go again...

I'm trying to connect to a computer that everyone else can connect to. i can ping, etc etc the machine.

when i \\machinename OR \\machineip it can't find it.

It doesn't appear in my NET USE list.

Rebooting didn't help.

Doing Zao's old trick won't work either.

Comment

Nevermind, it was Kerio personal firewall blocking me. Even though It didn't block me yesterday and I never changed anything. WTF?

Comment

It's an 'user-friendly' firewall.
                        </font>

Comment

Working...
                        X