mainboards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mainboards...

are there any objections to this mainboard? has anyone had any problems with it or incompatibilities etc?

Founded in 1987, ECS, the Elitegroup Computer Systems, is a top-notch manufacturer and supplier of several families of computer products in the industry. With almost 30 years of experience, ECS not only produces high-quality products such as motherboards, desktops PC, notebook , Mini PC and semi & fully ruggedized tablets , Gateways ,IoV platform & AI solutions, but also provides customized computer programming and hardware/ software design service for a wide variety of customers.

I wanted to put an old matrox millenium g400 dual head card into it which is 4x. I guess the only problem will be backwards compatibility with the agp slot. the machine is not for games or anything.

thanks.

Aside from the AGP issue this board uses the SiS 746 chipset, which never really took off because the board makers were waiting for the SiS 748.

The SiS 746 is a 266/333 fsb chipset which means when the AMD XP's with a 400 fsb come out you're out of luck.

The SiS 748 will support a 400fsb.

The SiS 748 boards I'm aware of:

AOpen AK76F-400N

Asrock K7S8XE

BIOSTAR M7SUB

DFI 748-AL

ECS 748-A

FIC KT-748

Jetway S748DA (not on website yet)

Gigabyte GA-7S748 (not on website yet)

IWILL K7S3 and K7S3-N (N denotes onboard network) (not on website yet)

MSI 748 Delta (not on website yet, but in some stores) (PKA: MSI SIS748)

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 August 2003, 10:40.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Doc, is this thing about availability of MSI confirmed? (I've heard it was scrapped...)

Comment

Sasq says he's been able to buy it in Japan for the last 5 weeks;

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Oh, that's something really interesting for me in that case (none of the listed motherboards, apart from Asrock (this one's already here) & ECS and perhaps MSI (745 was here, 746fx is - must be because MSI is more oficially here than other listed companies) will be availale here...
          ok, there's also gigabyte now - even better)

Comment

Given the choice I'd go for the MSI 748Delta myself based on my experiences with the 745 Ultra.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

hmmm, this is for my brother's engraving table upgrade. the cheeper the better actually. 266fsb is fine for his application but you know, if you can get newer parts for the same money or a bit more money it always is worth it as long as it works with all the other hardware you have. the millenium g400 dh video card for example, will that work with a board that has "AGP 8X" stamped on it?

thanks again.

Comment

Thats up for grabs as the board manufacturer can implement legacy support or not. Many new boards are dropping AGP4x and earlier, going just with AGP8x.

If this is a big deal and you really can do with a 266fsb then either the MSI 745 Ultra or one of the SiS746 boards should do nicely.

Another possibilty is a new series of boards coming out in September using the SiS 741 NB and the new SiS 964 SB. These will have integrated graphics, 400fsb, parallel ATA, SATA, integrated LAN, integrated RAID, integrated audio, up to 8 USB's etc.

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 August 2003, 14:17.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

ok I will talk to my brother about this. sounds good though and thanks for the information.

Comment

Doc, I've just remembered something...I was thinking about underclocking and undervolting cpu in "new" machine.
                    I presume (remember something actually) that SiS MSI boards don't allow for anything in that manner? (and 1,1 V and up would be perfect...)
                    Sasq, your 746F also doesn't allow this, right?
                    Somehow I don't think 748 is any different...

Comment

Working...
                    X