Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DV / Mediastudio Pro VE 6.0 problems

Hi folks,

I've been scouring the net and forums for answers, and haven't found any, so I guess I get to post something myself.

My problems stem from MSPro 6VE. I capture video from my Canon Optura through my Pyro DV card (I have a Matrox G400 and RRG, but haven't used the Rainbow much lately). I use MSPRO's video capture function to capture video, quite successfully. I bring the resulting .avi files into the editor and that's where the fun begins.

Oh, before going much farther, I've already applied the 6.0.0.2 patch to MSPRO6.

I can't preview files without a preview file being generated first; I can use a "quick play" option in the preview screen but it stutters every second or so. If I disable quick play and let it generate its preview file, it plays fine, but without audio.

Actually, audio is the major problem. When I want to create video files, I can't choose any audio compression codec other than PCM - any other choice results in the "audio codec unavailable" error message.

Next... I see the option to save as .asf files, but I'm limited to the templates supplied by M$, can I edit or add my own templates? All of M$'s use MPEG4v3, which for some reason is completely messed up on my system. I'd like to use MPEG4v1 instead. This isn't as big an issue as I can use Windows Media Encoder 4.1 to encode to MPEG4v1 without error (and MPEG-3 audio, to boot).

Last question: Can someone enlighten me to the difference between DV Type 1 and DV Type 2 files? Which one should I be using - is there a difference?

Thanks very much in advance for any assistance anyone can offer.

Regards
    - Aryko

You need to create a custom project setting with the "new" DV audio type that was added by the DVpatchII you installed.

I'll never understand why the patch didn't add this too.

I believe the ADS support pages have the exact recipe with screenshots.

After you've done this, import your clips into a new project of this type.

My camcorder defaults to 32K 12-bit audio so audio always renders when loaded in as DV 32K 16-bit is the "closest" setting. I should RTFM and set the camera to 44100 16-bit but having mixed formats in my current project is a cure worse than the disease.

DV type 1 is the "native" DV type as delivered over the firewire port. Type 2 is the "standard" windows AVI format with interleaved audio which is needed for VfW type editors like premire 4.2 & 5.1, and Media Studio Pro 5.2. These need a additional DV type 2 codec and suffer the 2/4 GB file size limits.

Media Studio Pro needs type 1 DV unless you have a type 2 codec supplied by other software.

--wally.

Comment

Hi

The silent audio problem has a fix
      Record a black intro leader with a audio file, turn the volume down to Nil.

Create a new AVI & use this at the start of every project. This kicks DV audio playback into gear. (history at http://pub9.ezboard.com/fpyro1394vid...icID=482.topic )

A audio file has to be generated before preview unless you use quickplay.

You should have more save options than PCM Audio ?

My version of the difference between DV 1 & 2

DV type 1 (4gb limit & Video & audio captured together.
      DV type 2 (2GB limit , Video & audio captured seperately)

ASF ? I have used 300 Video template which gave reasonable results for email videos.

IHTH

johnpr98
      http://www.johnpr98.com

Comment

Thanks both, for the quick replies.

You should have more save options than PCM Audio ?
        I have a bunch of save options (clicking on the 'audio' button in the compression section of the 'options' dialogue of the create video function...) - different audio compression formats - but if I choose anything other than "PCM", it barks back at me that it's unable to access the audio codec.

ASF ? I have used 300 Video template which gave reasonable results for email videos.
        Yep, 300 kbps is a great standard, except that it wants to use the MPEG4v3 codec and it comes out very, very badly on my PC (I think I have a revised version from another program somewhere or something)... I wanna use MPEG4v1 instead.

I should also mention that I've used Type 1 and Type 2 DV settings for testing purposes and both seemed to work similarly on my 2 minute clips.

As for the "new" DV audio type Wally, my default audio compression scheme when I save is PCM, 48KHz (DV standard). I have no problem saving video with audio when it comes to the final product. Basically, I used MPEG4v1 video compression and PCM audio compression, and then use Windows Media Encoder to encode it to ASF with MPEG-3 audio.

For a three minute file, it's the difference between a 28 MB file and a 4 MB file.

I'll review my settings though, and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

- Aryko

Comment

Okay, there's something definitely wrong... surely to goodness other people have had this problem?

I'm using MSPRO6VE, with the patch. I can't use any other codec except PCM or DV Audio to encode my audio when I "create video". Trying anything else gives me an error message: "Unable to access the codec driver."

Which is silly, because I have plenty of other codec drivers... how do I get it to point at the right places?

- Aryko

Comment

If you are creating a DV AVI these are probably the only options available (To wrire back to tape).

Mpeg or a different type of AVI should give you loads of audio options?

johnpr98

[This message has been edited by johnpr98 (edited 04 November 2000).]

Comment

I'm not creating a DV AVI to save back to the tape - that at least would make sense, that the camera needs the same audio codec in order to have it on the tape.

No, what I _ideally_ want to do is take my huge AVI that I've captured from my DV Camcorder and compress the video with MPEG4v1, and the audio with MP3. The video is no problem, but I can't access the audio codec driver for anything other than PCM (or ADPCM or something, which has lousy compression rates).

It's not confined to DV. If I put a regular AVI (encoded with Cinepak, MPEG4, anything) on the video track, and put in another audio track with basic PCM (say, 22Khz stereo), when creating the output file I still can't select anything other than PCM audio.

I've confirmed this problem with someone else, he's found that the only way to get the MP3 compressed track is to create the video from MSP6 with PCM audio, then redub the audio stream in Virtual dub with MP3 compression. He's also found that if he imports a clip with an MP3 audio stream, MSP6 won't play it.

Does MSP6 really have no functionality with MP3 audio? If someone can produce some results other than what I've described I'd love to hear about it.

- Aryko

Comment

I have tried your settings & confirm that mp3 audio can't be selected with AVI or any other option I tried.

johnpr98

[This message has been edited by johnpr98 (edited 04 November 2000).]

Comment

Yes, this is funny... but documented. This is from MSP 6 VE helpfile for the audio compression window:

Format Select a compression scheme. For 8 kHz files, try IMA ADPCM. For other types, use Microsoft's ADPCM option.

Weird.

M.
                  year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

Is this just occuring for the VE version of MSP6.0? Will the full version compress audio in MPEG-3?

- Aryko

Comment

Aryko

I have the full version of MSP 6
                      Will the full version compress audio in MPEG-3?
                      The answer is No AFAIK

johnpr98

Comment

Working...
                      X