Slowdown - Hotfix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slowdown - Hotfix?

Ok, I've got my system reinstalled. It was getting ugly in there, due in large part to "I haven't reinstalled it in 6 months" syndrome. Bleh. (Much as I may seem to evangelize Microsoft, I recognize the practical limitations of Windows XP as a working "only Windows box" machine).

ANYWAY, I reinstalled... and now it seems SLOW still.

I seem to recall a windows update hotfix that caused problems... anyone recall which one?

Also, I _suppose_ it might be something else in my system. I recently added a third 256MB stick to my 745 Ultra... should I be peeking into the BIOS again?

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Yeah. I've found that adding new components to my 745 will often reset the BIOS. I added a modem the other day, and it took me a little while to realize that among other things, the FSB was back down to 100.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

yes there is a hotfix for XP that slows everything down 811149 or was it 39?
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Thanks, that gives me an idea anyway.

Next question - was poking at my RAM settings (which DID get reset when I put in the third stick), and in AIDA all three stick are reported the same, except:

1. Micron (Crucial), Refresh Rate Normal (15.625 usec)
        2. Micron (Crucial), Refresh Rate Normal (15.625 usec)
        3. SpecTek, Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 usec)

Enlighten me, oh memory gurus - does that mean that the SpecTek module refreshes twice as fast, or HALF as fast?

Gpar_
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
          yes there is a hotfix for XP that slows everything down 811149 or was it 39?
          I've got an 811493... sound familiar?

Gpar_

Comment

if you downloaded the critical updates within the last week or so then you'd have gotten the newer version of that hotfix which doesn't slowdown your system.

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
              if you downloaded the critical updates within the last week or so then you'd have gotten the newer version of that hotfix which doesn't slowdown your system.
              Yeah, i've gotten updates on 2 boxes in the past week and didn't notice slow down. Word.

Comment

Working...
              X