Surround receivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surround receivers

A friend of mine is trying to sucker me into getting a Harman/Kardon AVR 8500, it looks quite wicked, but does any of you know it or anything else in the pricerange that might be better ?
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

The 8500 is a serious piece of hardware. Do you really need something that crazy? I mean, it is probably overkill for most people.

I have an HK receiver(AVR 210)and I love it

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Well, I probably don't, but I'm looking for something I'll be happy with as a pure 2 channel audio solution as well, and I am rather picky with that.

Not to mention the 8500 is really really neat

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

If all you care about is nice 2-channel sound, no need to go overboard on a huge surround rig. For roughly the same price as a H/K AVR 8500 (roughly 1700 euros, 12600 krone) you should be able to find a nice stereo preamp/amp seperates or an integrated amplier. My favorite is Rotel, but I don't know the availablity in Danmark.

Integrated amps:

Rotel music systems feature stereo components including integrated amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, stereo preamplifiers, DACs, and CD Players.

Stereo Preamps:

Rotel music systems feature stereo components including integrated amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, stereo preamplifiers, DACs, and CD Players.

Stereo Amplifiers:

I own the RB-1080 stereo amp and it is wonderful! Unless you are powering some big speakers in a big room though, all you need is the RB-1070 (should be around 7500 krone) or RB-1050 (~4500 krone). Hook that up to a nice Rotel RC-1090 (~7500 krone) with some B&W speakers and it will put the H/K 8500 to shame

Of course, I don't know what is and isn't available out there beside B&O, but if you find a nice audio dealer you can get better for about the same.

EDIT: looks like there is a DK Rotel dealer: http://www.radioactiv.dk/

Just my 50 uure.

Jammrock
        Last edited by Jammrock; 9 August 2003, 16:45.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

What speakers are you going to be running with it, CHHAS?

Comment

Is anyone else begining to pick up that speakers are the most important part of the system

Dan
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I'm not just interested in two channel, I'd like to have a good surround setup, but I do not want my two channel sound to suffer from going for a surround receiver.

Currently I'm using an Onkyo A-809 Integra integrated amp to run my Avance Delta 3 speakers. I haven't decided on surround speakers yet, besides knowing that I won't be changing the front channels.

Another incentive for getting the AVR-8500 is the sheer number of options I'll have with multiroom sound and what's not. I might have to go have a better look at the thing tomorrow, but knowing myself I could easily wind up looking with my wallet.

Comment

Multiroom sound? Are you really going to use that? My Denon has it, but it wasn't a selling point for me. Are you really going to be setting up two rooms such that this will be useful to you?
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

We do multiroom setups all the time, but usually we prewire the house ahead of time and then cut the speakers into the ceiling/wall. We use volume controls in the walls too. Best solution is to use a high current amplifier as a separate piece for this, with the speakers distributed by a niles sms10 speaker block, or if you want to get fancy (and expensive) go for something like the niles multizone receiver, with separate amps for every pair of speakers. I really don't like using the surround amp for the whole house system unless I have to.

Comment

Working...
                  X