Another year another fund raising drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another year another fund raising drive

Well it hardly seems a year since we started the keep MURC alive drive! Our yearly contract with Burst is just about up so we are once again in the situation of needing a fund raising drive.

This time as far as the MURC goes we intend to make a major change, our patience has finally run out with Burst after the last round of problems and their appalling level of support. So the idea is to relocate the site to a new, dedicated server, this will give us a better platform and much more control over site maintenance.

The network we intend to move onto is based in Japan, you can check out your connection to this network by looking at this site...

If anyone finds it painfully slow to connect to please let us know, obviously if there are any major issues we need to find out before we make the final decision to go.

If any of you could chip in to the fund it would be once again greatly appreciated. We still have the Paypal account active or if anyone is uneasy with that method maybe some of the local fundraisers could step in again to collect funds?

I just want to say thanks to all of you that have lent your support to the site over the last year. Special thanks must go out to Dan for coming in and fixing all the crap that goes on behind the scenes
    Last edited by Ant; 8 August 2003, 06:33.

Thanks
    BTW sorry guys but I couldn't find a suitable english site on the same subnet that we're looking at. So you all got to read Japanese

Dan
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Seems fine for connection speed. It pings at well under average.

Sorry about contributions. I'd be happy to send you a few bucks, except that PayPal doesn't want to know me because i live on a Med island Any other way?
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

erm.. istn't there a different thread in the Site Feedback???
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I would suggest a normal bank account. since bank transfer fees within the eu are finally history, this might be a good idea.

mfg
          wulfman
          "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
          "Lobsters?"
          "Really? I didn't know they did that."
          "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

They are?
            Oh golly.
            Ant, hit me with Your bank account #.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

well, I just signed on http:www.concordhosting.com and I love it. I'm not sure how it will work for you, but thought I'd mention it. Of course, I got the 'regular' package. So far so good

Dave
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Oh and thanks to Dan for helping keep MURC alive And thanks Ant for everything I'd love for one day to meet you Anthony.

Dave
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Part of the reason for going for a dedicated server (even if shared with a few sites to share costs) is Root access. Murc with our DB is something of a monster.
                  Last count our DB is 500MB and growing, when searching it takes a fair bit to do and if on a heavily shared server process time is limited. I have no idea how many sites are on our server here at burst (I think its in the 40+ bracket) Murc also uses a Lion's share of bandwidth.
                  Also with our continueing problems with burst - It took us 3.5 weeks just to get the email server fixed (and was the reason for our last move) - Personally I've about had it with waiting to get simple things fixed. With a server that I have control over, I can fix problems directly, and not wait two days to be told 'yes there is a problem with the server, we're looking at it'.

I still don't know if all of our FTP access is working corectly, and I'm waiting on yet the next break.

The reason for a server where you've all been checking load times, is my old boss has a server with that company, (its not his server you've been looking at). The service is good, they don't play with the servers, unless you ask them to - and then you need to give them root access for the time they are playing with it - very much hands off, unless there is a hardware problem, or you are upgrading something on the server.

No more changeing servers without due warning, no more problems that take a month to resolve.

Hence a dedicated server.

Dan
                  Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Took 6 seconds or so on my work's 384kbit shared SDSL connection. Very good. Even faster at home on my cable modem. This is with the cache cleared. Both are from the Baltimore, MD area.

Comment

Originally posted by DukeP
                      Ant, hit me with Your bank account #.
                      me too please, got no response when trying ICQ.

mfg
                      wulfman
                      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                      "Lobsters?"
                      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

When are we up again?
                        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Humble contribution finally made. Sorry for the delay.

Comment

www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

I made a post a little while ago saying I would contribute, then didn't. So then when I had money I contributed and made that post.

Comment

Working...
                              X