G400-tv Warranty Complaint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400-tv Warranty Complaint

I am writing to warn others and express my dissapointment with Matrox's warranty policys.

I within the last year or so bought a Marvel G400-TV card, (new) from an ebay store here in australia, the card has been faulty all along and unable to capture stable video.

I took this complaint to matrox for a replacement under warranty, it took them nearly two weeks of chasing up and stress on my behalf to finally arrive at their decision that:

It is their policy not to replace or repair the cards bought from ebay, (despite being brand new) and that if i wanted it to be fixed i have to pat them $100 US (thats least $200 AU) plus add posting and packing to send to canada from australia!!

I am furious with this decision, where did it warn me in the warranty that buying online from ebay voids the warranty?, also over $200 au to have it repaired is more than the card is technically worth now.

If i had the money, i would just say to hell with it and buy a new card, but these arent exactly "cheap" cards, and i am only surviving on a disability support income, so i am unable to buy a new replacement.

So put quite simply, hearing about how good matrox products were and how reliable they were made, i invested in the card buying from ebay. Found it to be faulty, and matrox wont honour the warranty......in the end it is a very very expensive 16mb display card! as thats all it is now useful for!

Perhaps people reading this may have some suggestions where i can go to get a replacement at a cheap price, even then i would be wary if matrox would get out of the warranty again should something go wrong.

I beleive the part to be fixed is in the breakout box, and though they tell me it is just a pass through, this is incorrect, it has many of the circuits inside there obviously or why would it need to have a data cable going to the main pc? perhaps they sell spare breakout boxes?

at any rate if you are thiking from buying from ebay then be careful, and if matrox refuses to honour the warranty i suggest you let the public know, by writing publicly your findings and rate their company at www.planetfeedback.com and perhaps once they get enough bad publicity they will change their policy. I am still very surprised at them, the general feeling was that theywere a good sompany and i cannot understand why in this case i have been so let down.

You can buy replacement BOBs from the Matrox on-line store, if you're sure that's where the problem is.
    It's even a featured product on the front page.

Matrox has not sold "new" G400 Marvels for quite some time.
    You can't blame them for now wanting to warranty a card that may or may not be new. Just because someone on Ebay told you it's new does not mean that it is. If you bought it from a retailer, get that retailer to warranty it. If you bought it from a private party, it was new when THEY bought it, not when you bought it from them.
    G400 Marvel was replaced by G450eTV several years ago. Any way you slice it, that card is NOT new.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I agree with Kruzin. The card is not new. I bought mine in1999 and from memory I think that the 450 replaced it about 2 years ago. The disrtibutor in Australia is Focalpoint Computing in Melbourne. I suggest you contact them to check out the card and or the BOB. I wouldn't expect them to replace it but it would be cheaper than sending it os. Lesson well learned to buy from reputable outlets.

Be gentle with Focalpoint. they are really good guys.

Des
      Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Mother Board
      Intel 3.01GHZ CPU
      1024 mb KingMax DDR ram
      RT X10
      Millenium G550
      Main HDD Seagate 40gb
      2nd HDD Seagate 120gb
      Win XP SP2
      Adobe Premiere 6.5
      DVDWS 2
      Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
      DVD Burner Sony DRU-510A
      Sony HandycamDCR-PC100e

Comment

yes so i found out later the g400-tv is a model behind the current one....

Yes, already spoken to focal point computing the local distributor, and yes they are really good to deal with, they have done all they can in their power to assist, unfortunately you still have to go through the international channels in these matters

Comment

Why not have a crack at the ebay seller?
          Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Mother Board
          Intel 3.01GHZ CPU
          1024 mb KingMax DDR ram
          RT X10
          Millenium G550
          Main HDD Seagate 40gb
          2nd HDD Seagate 120gb
          Win XP SP2
          Adobe Premiere 6.5
          DVDWS 2
          Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
          DVD Burner Sony DRU-510A
          Sony HandycamDCR-PC100e

Comment

unfortunately the seller is no longer registered and nor is my user id at the time.

What about time base correctors? or even video enchancers would they be suitable enough to stabilise the video enough to be able to capture ok?

Comment

Working...
            X