Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewire - pci cards

Can anyone advise please?
    1) Are all fire wire cards much the same.
    Ie. Do they all capture at the same quality and data rate etc.?

Only some are MUCH cheaper than others and I need a PCI interface firewire card.

Thanks - Biker.

------------------

The new IEEE-1394 cards use the OHCI standard, which is supported by the newer software. This is the way to go.

As far as cheaper vs. expensive OHCI cards, I haven't seen any real difference except when comparing basic cards like the Pyro to cards with added features like the RT-2000's realtime effects & MPEG-2 capabilities. Now THAT is a big jump....

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thanks Doc. - I have seen a card for £100 UK (Probably around $150) which includes MSP 6.0 Pro. - Whadya think? I already have MSP 5.0

Is 6.0 much better or more hassle?
      Does 6.0 require more CPU power etc.?

Thanks in advance - Biker

------------------

Comment

You pretty much need MSPro6 for firewire.

If its the full version your price is good, if not its too high. The ADS Pyro has a version bundled with MSPro6VE for < US$100 and the upgrade to full MSPro6 is ~$200.

There are two major OHCI chip sets for firewire NEC and TI. The TI version seems to have most of the worst bugs worked out in the MS drivers for Win98SE and W2k. The NEC chipset seems to have more problems.

Firewire is a digital transfer like a network card, so there is no quality difference once the drivers work correctly.

--wally.

Comment

Thanks Wally - thats just the info I needed.

Now to shop around!!!

------------------

Comment

Hi

There is one H........ card currently been advertised for £129.00 with the full version of MSPro 6. i.e J......com

This is not true! The version is VE and the advert is wrong. Source ULEAD.

One of the best deals to considerfor the ADS Pyro bundled with Video Studio 4 & MS Pro 6 VE can be found at www.lynxdv.com with great tech support.

johnpr98
            http://www.johnpr98.com

Comment

hiya... am i correct in thinking that i could use the firewire port on my RT2000 so hook a firewire Hard Drive upto?

could i just use it for transfare, onto my other drives, or could i use it like a regualr HD editing footage straight from it, ect???
              Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

email Ian at
                www.lynxdv.com & they will be able to answer or test this for you. (the addy is on the bottom left hand side of their hompage).

johnpr98
                http://www.johnpr98.com

Comment

Working...
                X