Question about capture/encoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about capture/encoding

Hello, I am producing some clips for VCD viewing. They are rather short and are linked within PDF documents as video demonstrations. I need fairly small file sizes so I can pack them all into the CD along with the PDF file itself.

After a LOT of experimenting I am getting what looks good to me, but I have a nagging
    thought that somehow I’m missing something obvious. Will someone please critique what I’m doing?

(My system: Pentium 4, 1.82 GHz, 768 MB Ram, 60g & 40g NTFS HD’s, AIW 8500DV capture card, soundblaster)

--Capture from Canon ZR-60 DV to Ulead Capture. I haven’t been able to find any setting to adjust so I think it is raw DV type-1, 720X480. I tried to capture in VirtualDub but my AIW card doesn’t seem to like it. I tried installing a VFW wrapper, but this must not be the problem. So, of all the capture facilities I have tried, Ulead’s works the best for me right now.
    --Save in Ulead Capture as .AVI with Huffy v2.1.1. Under the Huffy “Options” I select “Predict Median (best),” “Predict Gradient (best)”, other boxes unchecked, with size:720X480.
    --Edit in MSPro6.5
    --Create .AVI file with MSPro6.5, same settings as capture.
    --Load this .AVI file into TMPGenc and convert to MPEG-1 as VCD, NTSC, non-interlace, aspect 1:1 (VGA), noise reduction, sharpen edge, full screen, CDR 80. And by unlocking frame size feature I set it to 640X480 and set the bit rate to Automatic VBR (CQ_VBR).

Like I said, the final video seems pretty good when I play it with Windows Media Player, Real Player and a player in ATI. QuickTime is very jerky, unless I import the file and export it as a .MOV file. But this makes the file larger than I want.

I’d appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

I see no problem with what you're doing if it looks good in your application. The HuffYV -> MPEG conversion is very commonly done for quality purposes.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks Dr. Mordrid.

I guess the only other question I have is that even if it looks good on my computer, all things being equal, will it look basically the same on someone else's?

Thanks again!

Comment

Computer to computer it should look pretty much the same. Where you run into differrences is when you compare how it looks on a computer vs. a TV. There you have a difference in the color gamut (range).

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X